Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether affect has a sense of negative meaning:

"The climate affects people's living style."

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. It does not. "To affect" is neutral.

PS
    "people's living style." -> not idiomatic.

Copyright

American English
    Better might be "The climate affects people's lifestyles."

In this case, it could be negative (more flooding) or positive (Florida sunshine).

JamesM

I mean does "influence" means the same thing and used the same way as "affect"?
    I think it's a little different. When something affects something or someone it acts upon them and causes an effect. When something influences something or someone it acts upon them in a way that causes them to take different actions then they would have otherwise. That's how I see it, but it may be my personal opinion.

For example, "tidal surges are affecting home purchases in Florida" would mean that the surges were having some sort of effect on the purchases, either reducing them or affecting the price or something else.

For example, "tidal surges are influencing home purchases in Florida" would mean that the surges were being considered as a factor by home purchasers which might cause them to choose a more inland location than they would have without that influence.

Sun14

Chinese
    I think it's a little different. When something affects something or someone it acts upon them and causes an effect. When something influences something or someone it acts upon them in a way that causes them to take different actions then they would have otherwise. That's how I see it, but it may be my personal opinion.

For example, "tidal surges are affecting home purchases in Florida" would mean that the surges were having some sort of effect on the purchases, either reducing them or affecting the price or something else.

For example, "tidal surges are influencing home purchases in Florida" would mean that the surges were being considered as a factor by home purchasers which might cause them to choose a more inland location than they would have without that influence.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >