Affect

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
Hello!
Someone posted this sentence in the Spa-Eng forum:

"Also, she possessed eyes that were wonderful; and, had she not been dressed in the abominable print-cloths affected by Missions, you would, meeting her on the hillside unexpectedly, have thought her the original Diana of the Romans going out to slay."

Trying to help, I looked "affect" up in my dictionary to be sure of which meaning of this word was being referred to. I found out this:
affect vt 2. Literary (wear, use) usar
I'd like to know what you think "affected" means there, but independently of that what struck me was that I couldn't find in other dictionaries that meaning of "affect" that I found in mine... Have you ever come across that meaning of "affect" or is my dictionary wrong?

(Please correct any mistakes I've made)
Thank you!

• rosiepine

English-United States
    Hi Eugens-
    I've never seen the word "affect" used in this way, but from what I can gather from the sentence it most closely resembles the word "impose".
    Good luck, and hope that helps

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... dressed in the abominable print-cloths affected by Missions ...

I think this carries several layers of meaning. European missionaries insisted that "the natives" should wear the more modest (usually) clothing that they provided. To be cynical, I might suggest that this was part of europeanising them, for surely that was the road to civilisation.

So, affected in this context would match the following OED definition:
    To put on a pretence of; to assume a false appearance of, to counterfeit or pretend.
    ... where the pretence was that dressing in the abominable print-cloths would turn "the natives" into model Europeans.

judkinsc

English, USA
    "affected" here means that "Missions" (some group, sounds religious) has ordered all of their employees to wear this style of clothing.
    You could rephrase the sentence as "...and if she had not been dressed in the abominable print-cloths (printed cloth) worn by the employees of Missions..."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Errrmmmm....

The original sentence is a quotation from Lispeth, by Rudyard Kipling - written in 1888.

SHE was the daughter of Sonoo, a Hill-man of the Himalayas, and Jadeh his wife. One year their maize failed, and two bears spent the night in their only opium poppy-field just above the Sutlej Valley on the Kotgarh side; so, next season, they turned Christian, and brought their baby to the Mission to be baptized. The Kotgarh Chaplain christened her Elizabeth, and 'Lispeth' is the Hill or pahari * pronunciation.

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
    panjandrum said:
    Errrmmmm....

The original sentence is a quotation from Lispeth, by Rudyard Kipling - written in 1888.
    Good to know! I remember thinking, when I was trying to translate it, that it was a nice story.:p

I thought that with that piece of information the problem would be settled, that now it would be just a matter of searching the net for a Spanish version of the text and seeing how that sentence was translated. Unfortunately, so far, I have only found a translation made by a fan in some other forum... He/she translated it as something like "the abominable print-cloths that are liked by the Missions" (I meant to say "...that the Missions liked," does my use of the passive voice mean the same?)

Thank you all for your help!

Ah! I was forgetting to ask you, Panj: does the meaning of "affect" that I encountered in my dictionary appear in the OED?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    It does, something like "The particular top hat and cape which he affected on evenings at the opera were kept, for the rest of the year, in the pawn-shop."

In that sense it carries a little extra meaning - that the wearing, the use, is deliberate, to create a particular effect:) .

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Affect: to use or adopt by preference. He affected a ceceo when speaking Spanish, which, combined with his strong Arkansas accent, caused the Porteños much mirth.

Kelly B

USA English
    Perhaps something like "in the abominable print cloths that those in the Missions wore, somewhat pretentiously...."
    This is awkward, but can it be translated more easily?

rudyard

English
    This is an archaic usage of the word affected meaning “to fancy”. Only need to look it up in a dictionary

---
    as It does not let me post links, go to Merriam-Webster and look up the verb affect.

DaleC

Eugens said:
    Hello!
    Someone posted this sentence in the Spa-Eng forum:

"Also, she possessed eyes that were wonderful; and, had she not been dressed in the abominable print-cloths affected by Missions, "

Trying to help, I looked "affect" up

I found out this:
    affect vt 2. Literary (wear, use) usar
    Did you try a monolingual dictionary of English? dictionary.reference.com

af·fect2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (
    -f
    kt
    )
    tr.v. af·fect·ed, af·fect·ing, af·fects
    1. To put on a false show of; simulate: affected a British accent.
      1. To have or show a liking for: affects dramatic clothes
    Both of these senses are obscure, literary, and archaic.

< Previous | Next >