Affection vs. passion

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
He has strong "affection" or "passion" for her.

I think "passion" is related to sexual things and "affection" is not. In this case, "affection" can be used for other family members and "passion" is only for a couple lovers. Am I right? Thank you.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thank you, PaulQ.
    In this case, I can also say "I have strong passion for my family members including my parents." Am I right?
    No.

However deeply we may love our other family members, we don't have a "passion" for them - only for our partner. It most usually goes with physical, sexual feelings, so you might want to avoid using it in other contexts.

From the definition of "passion", when it is used with someone, it's not always related to sexual things.
    It usually is though. Which definition are you thinking of?

I have a passion for Mozart. I can safely say that because he's dead, and everyone understands that I mean "I love his music".
    I'm passionately fond of reading - you may often see this kind of exaggeration. People use it because there's no way that this kind of "passion" can be taken the wrong way, whereas He loves his niece passionately/He feels passion for his mother....would raise some eyebrows.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    No.

However deeply we may love our other family members, we don't have a "passion" for them - only for our partner. It most usually goes with physical, sexual feelings, so you might want to avoid using it in other contexts.

It usually is though. Which definition are you thinking of?

I have a passion for Mozart. I can safely say that because he's dead, and everyone understands that I mean "I love his music".
    I'm passionately fond of reading - you may often see this kind of exaggeration. People use it because there's no way that this kind of "passion" can be taken the wrong way, whereas He loves his niece passionately/He feels passion for his mother....would raise some eyebrows.
    Thank you velisarius.
    In this case, "he has strong affection with his family members." is correct. Am I right?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thank you velisarius.
    In this case, "he has strong affection with his family members." is correct. Am I right?
    We can have "affection for" people. He has a strong affection for the members of his family - is grammatically correct, but it sounds tepid.

Even "He is very fond of..." is not really strong enough when talking about one's immediate family. Why don't you just say He loves all the members of his family very much? You wanted to use "passion"; are you trying to say that this person has a particularly strong attachment to his family? It's quite normal to love one's family very much. If you want to say something stronger, please explain the context.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    We can have "affection for" people. He has a strong affection for the members of his family - is grammatically correct, but it sounds tepid.

Even "He is very fond of..." is not really strong enough when talking about one's immediate family. Why don't you just say He loves all the members of his family very much? You wanted to use "passion"; are you trying to say that this person has a particularly strong attachment to his family? It's quite normal to love one's family very much. If you want to say something stronger, please explain the context.

Thank you,verisarius.
    For instance, he was raised by his single mom. He has Oedipus complex. Can I say "he has a very strong affection for mom." instead of "Oedipus complex"? Does it sound more polite?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    He has a very strong affection for his mom - I would imagine that he loves his mom, in the normal way. It doesn't suggest to me that he desires her.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    He has a very strong affection for his mom - I would imagine that he loves his mom, in the normal way. It doesn't suggest to me that he desires her.
    Thank you velisarius.
    In this case, what else can I use to express this kind of affection other than "Oedipus complex"?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    For instance, he was raised by his single mom. He has Oedipus complex. Can I say "he has a very strong affection for mom." instead of "Oedipus complex"? Does it sound more polite?
    In this case, what else can I use to express this kind of affection other than "Oedipus complex"?
    "The Oedipus complex" refers to the feelings of a young child -- sexual desire for his mother and hostile feelings towards his father. If he was raised by a single mother, and, as an adult, still desires her, it's more like a kind of perversion than the Oedipus complex.

< Previous | Next >