affinity with the aesthetic

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
Hi everyone,

Can I use "affinity with" in the following context? I want to convey the idea that the work of the painter Y became similar to the aesthetics of the symbolist movement.

Initially influenced by Romanticism, later on associated with Realism and with the “painters of modern life”, from the 1XXXs onwards, Y’s work had a strong affinity with the aesthetic embraced by the first proponents of the symbolist movement.

Thanks in advance

• manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    Hi everyone,

Can I use "affinity with" in the following context? I want to convey the idea that the work of the painter Y became similar to the aesthetics of the symbolist movement.

Initially influenced by Romanticism, later on associated with Realism and with the “painters of modern life”, from the 1XXXs onwards, Y’s work had a strong affinity with the aesthetic embraced by the first proponents of the symbolist movement.

Thanks in advance
    Sounds fine to me.

MichaelW

English (British)
    If you want to emphasise that Y's aesthetics became over time like those of the symbolists (but did not start that way) "came to have a strong affinity".

"Y’s work had a strong affinity with" implies it was always symbolist.

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
    If you want to emphasise that Y's aesthetics became over time like those of the symbolists (but did not start that way) "came to have a strong affinity".

"Y’s work had a strong affinity with" implies it was always symbolist.
    Thanks MichaelW. You've been most helpful;)

< Previous | Next >