afford to

Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina
Hi Guys!

I want to add emphasis to this phrase this is why I added the "afford". However, I don't really know if it would sound natural.

She will even take more money from him than he can afford to give her, and she will get him into deep troubles.

She will even take more money from him than he can give her, and she will get him into deep troubles.

Many thanks!

Hugs

• Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina
    Thank you, guys!

George, why trouble? The text says that she will really get him into (many) troubles.

Thank you once again!! :)

Hugs!

George French

English - UK
    Thank you, guys!

George, why trouble? George, why trouble? The text says that she will really get him into (many) troubles.

Thank you once again!! :)

Hugs!
    The expression uses the singular trouble. Google has very many hits using trouble and few hits using troubles. Draw your own conclusion.....

GF..

Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina
    Okay, many thanks, George. I know it's far more common "trouble", but in this case, and according to the text, I will think what I will write.

Many thanks once again!!! :)

Hugs!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Just wanted to add that the two sentences mean different things.

Suppose I have $2,000. That's all the money I have in the world. And suppose I need about $1,800 of that for my own living expenses, so I can afford to give someone else $200.

If I give her (in this case it's "her") $100, everything is fine.

If I give her $300, I have given her more than I can afford to give her, but not more than I can give her. That's true for any amount from $201 through $2,000.

If I give her $2,200, perhaps as a check, I have given her more than I can give her. It's not just a question of how much I can do without, how much I can afford to give. It's a question of my total resources. (Maybe my bank will cash the check and then come after me for the balance. If that happens, I could be in deep trouble!)

< Previous | Next >