Afghan Persian: ماشین را گل کنید

PersoLatin

UK
Persian - Iran
I saw this sign on TV news about Afghanistan. The English translation says ‘turn off engine’, so گل کنید must mean ‘turn off’ but how come and is that gel, gol or gal, or a misprint?

Attachments

• Afghan sign.jpeg
    Afghan sign.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In Urdu, we use "gul karnaa" (equivalent of gul kardan) for "to distinguish". گُل کرنا / گُل کردن

A Comprehensive Persian-English Dictionary, Including the Arabic Words and Phrases to be Met with in Persian Literature.

gul kardan, To extinguish, to snuff (a candle); to become apparent, manifest;

"gul" apparently is the burnt end of a candle. Perhaps this is where "gul kardan" comes from.

gul, A rose; a flower; embers; a red colour; snuff of a lamp or a candle;

گل (gol) Noun A flower. A blossom [شکونه]. A rose [= گل سرخ]. The snuff of a candle

New Persian-English dictionary, complete and modern, designed to give the English meanings of over 50,000 words, terms, idioms,and proverbs in the Persian language, as well as the transliteration of the words in English characters

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    In Urdu, we use "gul karnaa" (equivalent of gul kardan) for "to distinguish". گُل کرنا / گُل کردن
    Thank you.

In the links above there's no reference to 'gol kardan' with the sense of turning off or putting out, and scores of references to gul/gol "flower".

I had no idea it was pronounced as 'gol', I have since seen a single reference to it in Dehkhoda with one example, and with no more information.
    افتاد نگاهش به لب و عارض جانان
    پروانه گمان برد که گل کرده چراغی است
    میرزا طاهر وحید (از آنندراج ).

I am quite familiar with 'gol kardan' with the meaning of 'to manifest/appear', especially colloquially but I find 'gol kardan' in the sense 'turning off' its opposite for example if one takes the disappearance of light/flame when a candle is put out.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

شبی کز می چراغ حسن او گل کرد دانستم
    که هم بلبل من سرگشته هم پروانه خواهم شد

خواجه آصفی

This poet was a pupil of the famous poet Jami.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    شبی کز می چراغ حسن او گل کرد دانستم
    که هم بلبل من سرگشته هم پروانه خواهم شد

خواجه آصفی
    I am assuming you believe that چراغ حسن او گل کرد means: "...the light of his goodness turned off...", I m not familiar with this but I think the meaning here is "the night that, due to consumption of wine, the light of his goodness manifested itself (روشن/نمایان شد) I knew...", basically the complete opposite, also گل کرد with the meaning you have in mind doesn't work grammatically.

Qureshpor

کنایه از چراغ خاموش کردن هم آمده . برای اطفای چراغ ، چون چراغ نشاندن و چراغ کشتن مستعمل است . (آنندراج ). خاموش کردن چراغ ، چه فتیله ٔ نیم سوخته که بعد از خاموش شدن شعله چند لحظه سرخ میماند تشبیه به گل شده است . (فرهنگ نظام )

درآن محفل که شمع روی او نیست۔
    چراغ دیده را گل میتوان کرد

طاهر غنی (از آنندراج )

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    درآن محفل که شمع روی او نیست۔
    چراغ دیده را گل میتوان کرد
    I can not dispute this, having learned what گل کردن can also mean, but I don’t believe all co appearances of چراغ & گل کردن means the same, unless, as poets often do, a ‘double meaning’ is intended.

فتیله ٔ نیم سوخته که بعد از خاموش شدن شعله چند لحظه سرخ میماند تشبیه به گل شده است
    It seems clear that گل is used here in its primary meaning as a red rose, albeit figuratively.