Afghanistan's next to last summer of peace and anonymity

< Previous | Next >

Sungbin Moon

Korean
I TURNED THIRTEEN that summer of 1976, Afghanistan’s next to last summer of peace and anonymity. Things between Baba and me were already cooling off again. I think what started it was the stupid comment I’d made the day we were planting tulips, about getting new servants.

There is the phrase in the book; The kite runner and I don't get it meaning of "Afghanistan's next to last summer and anonymity".

Especially I'm curious of meaning of "Afghanistan's next"..

However, I cant let you know what page is because of E;book.

THanks in advance

• lingobingo

English - England
    If 1976 was the next to last (= last but one / penultimate) summer of that kind, the last one must have been the following year, 1977.

Chez

English English
    I would certainly have hyphenated 'next-to-last' to show that the words go together to express 'the one before the last/the penultimate'.

The next-to-last summer of peace is easy to understand. 1976 was the penultimate summer of peace; so 1977 was the last summer of peace. By the summer of 1978, Afghanistan was at war.

I assume 'anonymity' refers to Afghanistan being relatively unknown or talked about in world affairs until war broke out and Western troops got involved, when the country started to appear in the news daily.

Sungbin Moon

Korean
    [
    I would certainly have hyphenated 'next-to-last' to show that the words go together to express 'the one before the last/the penultimate'.

The next-to-last summer of peace is easy to understand. 1976 was the penultimate summer of peace; so 1977 was the last summer of peace. By the summer of 1978, Afghanistan was at war.

I assume 'anonymity' refers to Afghanistan being relatively unknown or talked about in world affairs until war broke out and Western troops got involved, when the country started to appear in the news daily.
    Thank you for your kindness Chez. It was clear explanation on me.

< Previous | Next >