afin de s'adapter au caractère impromptu

sandyArt

French
Hello,

I'm writing the instructions to perform a music score. Thank you for help !

During the performance these fermatas (pause moments) may be flexible in order to serve the impromptu character of the music. is it correct ?

"Durant le jeu, ces points d'orgues peuvent être flexibles afin de s'adapter au caractère impromptu de la musique."

• sandyArt

French
    Mieux rendre, mettre en valeur
    me paraissent d'excellentes suggestions, cependant je désirais savoir si la version anglaise est correcte. Merci pour votre réponse !

harrythelm

USA English
    During the performance these fermatas (pause moments) may be flexible in order to serve the impromptu character of the music.[/I][/COLOR] is it correct ?

"Durant le jeu, ces points d'orgues peuvent être flexibles afin de s'adapter au caractère impromptu de la musique."[/QUOTE]
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

Désolé de ne pas avoir compris. Pour ce qui est de l'anglais, à l'encontre d'andad, je ne crois pas que ça passe.

When performed, the fermatas can be varied to bring out/enhance the spontaneity of the piece/of the music."

mais je ne suis pas musicien, donc pas sûr d'avoir bien compris, en particulier, "flexible."

andad

American English
    harrythehelm has a point.

I would add, however, a notion of length and conserve "during performance":

"During the performance, the length of the fermatas may/can be varied to bring out the spontaneity of the piece."

sandyArt

French
    During the performance, is excellent I think.
    but for ces points d'orgue peuvent être flexibles there are two parameters to be considered I think.

1. the lengh but that has no importance to talk about since the musician will decide it live
    2. to which note will apply the fermata, I wanted to say that even if the performer decided before the performance to apply the fermata on "Re", he may change this plan during the performance if he feels better the fermata on another note, for instance "Do".
    This is what I called "flexible". So I think this notion should be kept maybe by another word.

Spontaneity = means also without premeditation
    But in the music piece there IS a premeditation because the musicians choose the fermatas before playing, even if they are not obliged to respect them when playing !
    I would prefer a "half way" word if possible since the piece has a Premeditation aspect but not totally. Like the "spontaneous aspect" or "character".

Thank you very much for all your replies. It's great !

andad

American English
    Great!

However, you do need to include "length". Otherwise, you would be saying that the fermatas can be varied (i.e. that you can choose which note to hold based on your own taste): the length of the fermatas may be varied.

Second, spontaneity in this context doesn't mean that the music isn't pre-conceived. However, you could also say "sense of spontaneity."

Therefore, here is the final phrase, as I see it:

"During the performance, the length of the fermatas may be varied (OR determined by the musician/conductor) to retain the sense of spontaneity of the piece."

Hope that helps!

< Previous | Next >