afraid/being afraid?

< Previous | Next >

windyvalley

Chinese
Hi,

I read this sentence in a book,

"While crossing the street, he looked right and left, afraid that he might run into some passing car."

I am wondering if there is something missing, should it add being before afraid?

"While crossing the street, he looked right and left, being afraid that he might run into some passing car."

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Windy

• IDK

Amr English
    Hi,

I read this sentence in a book,

"While crossing the street, he looked right and left, afraid that he might run into some passing car."

I am wondering if there is something missing, should it add being before afraid?

"While crossing the street, he looked right and left, being afraid that he might run into some passing car."

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Windy
    "Should it add being" is awkward. Try "Should being be added".

Either sentence is fine, but the latter can be percieved as slightly more formal than the former. You can say that the being in the first sentence is implied.

windyvalley

Chinese
    "Should it add being" is awkward. Try "Should being be added".

Either sentence is fine, but the latter can be percieved as slightly more formal than the former. You can say that the being in the first sentence is implied.
    Hi IDK,

Thanks for your comments.

I have never known that being is implied. so, only being can be omitted? or are there any other auxiliary verbs can be omitted in the similar situations?

By the way, should it be hit in some car or cars?

Windy

< Previous | Next >