afraid of people getting indulged

Qadri

Urdu
Hi,

I`d like to know about the following sentence.

I am afraid of people getting indulged in drinking the new alcohol brand because of its low price.

What does this sentence mean?

Does "I" is afraid of people or of their action?

Thanks...

• kyrintethron

English - America
    In this sentence, the speaker, "I", is saying that he fears the idea of the general public overwhelmingly enjoying the inexpensive alcohol, most likely because it will lead to mass drunkenness.

He is not afraid of the people. It would seem that he wants to protect them from the allure of the cheap booze. Moreover, he's not really afraid of their actions (drinking low-price liquor). What he seems to be afraid of is the result of people enjoying the cheap alcohol way too much, which would be social decay caused by widespread intoxication.

-K

suzi br

English / England
    'Getting indulged in drinking' is a very odd construction. It does not sound idiomatic to me, which makes it hard to answer your question about what this sentence means. We do not use indulge in that way.

Last edited:

kyrintethron

English - America
    It does sound very odd to use "getting indulged". "I am afraid of people indulging in drinking..." sounds better. Nevertheless, what I said earlier about who/what the speaker is afraid of still stands.

-K

< Previous | Next >