After 3 years that it was released, I've begun to like it

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
Greetings,

After 3 years that despacito was released, I've begun to like it.
meaning:
After 3 years of despacito's release I started to like it and I still do.

Yeah I don't know the first sentence is just off. Any way to fix it by still keeping the "I've" and "that"?
Cheers.

• heypresto

English - England
    No. I'm afraid you can't keep 'I've' and 'that'. You could say After three years of despacito being released I began to like it, and I still do.

What is 'despacito '?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    You could do it in BE as:
    3 years after Despacito was [first] released, I've [now] begun to like it. :)

But I can't see any easy way of retaining "that" in the first part of the sentence.

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
    How about: I started to like despacito about three years after its release, and I've never stopped.

What's despacito?
    Yeah but I need to emphasise that it was released 3 years ago.

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)

But I can't see any easy way of retaining "that" in the first part of the sentence.
    I love that. Thanks!

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)

But the stuff in brackets is optional, correct?

(Sorry for flooding, it got out of control)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The only problem with the "Now that..." version is that it won't work if it is now five years since it was released, and you are commenting that you began liking it two years ago (which is three years after it was released).

kentix

English - U.S.
    This is perfect in American English, too. It's what I would have written. I would definitely include the "now".

"Now that it has been 3 years since it was released, I've just begun to like it.".
    This to me seems like a conclusion, like you've been waiting three years and finally it arrived and now you can like it.

sound shift

English - England
    After 3 years of despacito's release I started to like it and I still do.
    Yeah but I need to emphasise that it was released 3 years ago.
    These statements are contradictory.

The first one implies:
    The release of Despacito << 3 years >> I started to like it. << a period of time >> Now. I still like the song.

The second one implies:
    The release of Despacito << 3 years >> Now. I'm just starting to like the song.

< Previous | Next >