after a thousand years or so of knowing someone along with the concept of personal space or property

Lipinghe

Korean - South Korea (Republic of Korea)
Dear all, I am wondering what the author wants to mean by saying like that:

"We've pissed them all off, you know," he commented, not bothering to start the conversation with 'hello'. Such little ceremonies vanished after a thousand years or so of knowing someone along with the concept of personal space or property.
- Nice Weather for Ducks, written by shewhoguards

I'm curious why the author used "after a thousand years", because the main verb is past tense, so I thought it must be used something meaning past like "ago". Also, I was completely lost when I first read "or so of knowing someone...", and still don't get any clue what it means. I can understand what the phase "knowing someone..." solely means, but can't get the meaning when it is in the sentence. :( Maybe "or" is a problem to me. Could you help me understand the meaning of that sentence?

Last edited:
  • RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    After knowing someone for roughly a thousand years, minor ceremonies (such as saying "hello" to that person) vanished, as did the concept of personal space or property.

Lipinghe

Korean - South Korea (Republic of Korea)
    After knowing someone for roughly a thousand years, minor ceremonies (such as saying "hello" to that person) vanished, as did the concept of personal space or property.
    So, it could have been "Such little ceremonies vanished after a thousand years or so of knowing someone, along with the concept of personal space or property." The meaning is quite different from what I assumed first, because there is no comma in there, and I misunderstood the meaning of units. Thank you so much RM1 :) It helped me a lot.

The sentence would have been better written if there had been a comma after "someone."
    If I would've been familiar with sentences without comma, it couldn't bother me at all, but sadly I'm absolutely not. :(

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >