after adverbial clase, several main sentences.

< Previous | Next >

Julianus

Korean
Hello.

1a. As soon as I open the front door to look outside, they’re beside me in a flash, standing expectantly, ready for an adventure. (Korea university entrance exam)

1b. As soon as I open the front door to look outside, they’re beside me in a flash, they're standing expectantly, and they're ready for an adventure.
1c. As soon as I open the front door to look outside, they’re beside me in a flash, they stand expectantly, and they are ready for an adventure.

If I rephrase 1a into 1b or 1c, are the both 1b and 1c correct and do they completely have the same meaning with 1a? In other words, after adverbial clause, can several main sentences be used like 1b and 1c?

Thank you always~.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Yes, I think your 1b and 1c are fine, and they capture the idea. They just get long-winded and somewhat redundant.

The 1a, if from an exam, might be wrong. At the end, I would expect "... and ready for an adventure."

Forero

All three sentences sound natural and correct to me, and the meanings are similar but not quite the same. In 1a, "beside me", "standing", and "ready" all describe the state they are suddenly in (they were already ready when they were standing expectantly, and they were already standing expectantly when they were beside me); in 1b, they are doing three things (some of them may be doing only one or two, and the order does not matter); and in 1c, they all do three things, probably in the order given.

< Previous | Next >