After all this time

Snappy_is_here

Japanese
Is it okay to use "after all this time" to mean "up to now" in the following context?​
My mother passed away three years ago.​
I'm still grieving over her death after all this time. (= I've been grieving over her death up to now.)​
Let me confirm that "after all this time" used in the following sentence does not mean "up to now," but it means "despite what has been said or expected."​
I've decided to read it again after all this time. (= This time, I've decided to read it again after all.)​

• Copyright

American English
    After all this time means after all the time that has passed. Although you are referring to the period of time from then to now, it doesn't mean up to now. It refers to a long period of time -- it is to be taken literally.

Snappy_is_here

Japanese
    After all this time means after all the time that has passed. Although you are referring to the period of time from then to now, it doesn't mean up to now. It refers to a long period of time -- it is to be taken literally.
    I see.
    Then does "I'm still grieving over her death after all this time." make sense?
    I thought it meant "I've been grieving over her death since then."

Copyright

American English
    I see.
    Yes, that's exactly what it means -- but then you've just quoted your original sentence, so I'm not sure how illuminating that is. :)

Well, it does mean that you've been grieving over her death since she died -- but with "after all this time," you're adding the additional information that she died quite some time ago, rather than recently.

Snappy_is_here

Japanese
    Yes, that's exactly what it means -- but then you've just quoted your original sentence, so I'm not sure how illuminating that is. :)

Well, it does mean that you've been grieving over her death since she died -- but with "after all this time," you're adding the additional information that she died quite some time ago, rather than recently.
    Oh, okay.
    Then "I'm still grieving over her death after all this time." connote that "a long time has passed since she passed away. I'm still grieving over her death," right?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Ah, I see what your problem is.

No, it doesn't exactly mean that, although the two sentences are not contradictory.

The second sentence is a simple statement: Your grieving started at the time of her death, and it still continues.

The first sentence, with "still" and "after all this time," suggests that you (and/or perhaps others) are somewhat surprised that the grieving has continued even after quite a long time has passed since her death. "All this time" emphasizes the length of the time period.

< Previous | Next >