after all

irani11

Korean
(1) Before I’d even got this book on my Kindle,I’d already written about 3000 words of ‘notes’ for this review. After all, I’d been using Apple products my whole life.
http://21tiger.com/2011/11/03/steve-jobs-asshole-impresario-artist/

(2) At Children's Village we believe every child should have access to affordable, quality early care and education. After all, research recognizes the immense importance of high quality early care and education and its link to school readiness, later school success and ultimately, life success.
http://www.childrensvillagephila.org/visit-old-website/support.html

Hi, is this use of 'after all' standard?
If so, can you put it differently using another words, please?
I've been reading other threads and didn't think this use of the phrase was questioned.
I don't think the meaning intended is neither 'considering indications to the contrary' nor 'in view of all circumstances'. It's really vague!

• ewie

English English
    Hi Irani11. You're right: it's pretty vague and difficult to say exactly what it means. Maybe in support of what I've just said is the best paraphrase.
    I certainly wouldn't call it standard, but wouldn't be surprised to find out it was 'very common'. After all is a somewhat slippery customer, difficult to pin down, easy to slip into an utterance when you're not sure what to say next.

irani11

Korean
    I certainly wouldn't call it standard, but wouldn't be surprised to find out it was 'very common'. After all is a somewhat slippery customer, difficult to pin down, easy to slip into an utterance when you're not sure what to say next.
    Hi ewie. Thank you so much. I'm getting a bit of sense now.

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    In no. 2, I would say that "after all" means "It should not surprise anyone that we believe this, since research recognises ....."
    I think the meaning in no. 1 is similar: "It should not be a surprise to anyone that I am so eager to write a review on this book (about Steve Jobs), since I have been using Apple products all my life."

< Previous | Next >