After all.

hack3rcon

Russian
Hello.
I'm reading Mafiaboy book by Michael Calce and I want to know in below text what does "After all" mean? Can it mean "despite earlier problems" ?
""The number of requests for information coming from Washington was mind boggling, and the RCMP had grown increasingly distrustful of the officials in Washington," writes Dan Verton in The Hacker Diaries. "They became reluctant to share a lot of information with them. After all, the case now fell clearly within Canadian jurisdiction.""

Thank you.

• suzi br

English / England
    Hello.
    I'm reading Mafiaboy book by Michael Calce and I want to know in below text what does "After all" mean? Can it mean "despite earlier problems" ?
    ""The number of requests for information coming from Washington was mind boggling, and the RCMP had grown increasingly distrustful of the officials in Washington," writes Dan Verton in The Hacker Diaries. "They became reluctant to share a lot of information with them. After all, the case now fell clearly within Canadian jurisdiction.""

Thank you.
    No. That’s not what it means there.
    It’s hard to put an exact gloss on an idiom like this.
    Our dictionary says:
    1. Idiomsafter all,
      • nevertheless:We were angry with her, but, after all, she was our child and we had to forgive her.
      • (used to remind the reader or listener that there is a strong basis for what is said):Of course he's exhausted. After all, he's been driving for ten straight hours.

Does that help? In your context we could gloss it as “remember, it was all in their jurisdiction”.

hack3rcon

Russian
    No. That’s not what it means there.
    It’s hard to put an exact gloss on an idiom like this.
    Our dictionary says:
    1. Idiomsafter all,
      • nevertheless:We were angry with her, but, after all, she was our child and we had to forgive her.
      • (used to remind the reader or listener that there is a strong basis for what is said):Of course he's exhausted. After all, he's been driving for ten straight hours.

Does that help? In your context we could gloss it as “remember, it was all in their jurisdiction”.
    Can it mean "Finally" or "Anyway" ?

< Previous | Next >