after / behind

< Previous | Next >

zgqcn

Chinese
Hi~~

Would you please tell me whether I can replace “after” with “behind”?

Thank you. :)

Original Text from THE WALL STREET JOURNAL:
Take China’s domestic credit card market, which was supposed to open to foreign competition five years ago. China UnionPay, now the third largest network in the world after Visa and MasterCard, remains a virtual monopoly at home and is expanding overseas. A U.S. complaint is pending at the World Trade Organization. Likewise, China is supposed to report all of its government subsidies to the WTO. It has failed to do so. Earlier this month the U.S. Trade Representative stepped into the breach, providing a list of almost 200 subsidy programs, including those for wind and solar power that have garnered complaints from the U.S. companies.

Rewritten Text from my poor English:
Take China’s domestic credit card market, which was supposed to open to foreign competition five years ago. China UnionPay, now the third largest network in the world behind Visa and MasterCard, remains a virtual monopoly at home and is expanding overseas. A U.S. complaint is pending at the World Trade Organization. Likewise, China is supposed to report all of its government subsidies to the WTO. It has failed to do so. Earlier this month the U.S. Trade Representative stepped into the breach, providing a list that has nearly 200 subsidy programs, including those for wind and solar power that have complained by the U.S. companies.

• dukaine

English - American
    For this particular context, I think that either one is fine. The Wall Street Journal is a reputable publication, and they went with the word they thought best.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    But you have also taken the liberty of rewriting the last sentence of the paragraph—which contains more than the permissible four sentences of quotation, by the way—in an UNgrammatical manner. (If you want to discuss that sentence, the original and your rewrite, please start a new thread.)

zgqcn

Chinese
    < Previous | Next >