After being been overwhelmed by Kovalev,

• JungKim

Korean
    Personally, I agree that "after being been" or even "being been" itself sounds like an error or a typo. That said, you can get an unusually high number of hits in Google News from both "after being been" and "being been".

And here's some such examples:
    Those rescued came from Syria, Egypt, Libya, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan and South Sudan among other places. One man in his 40s told Royal Marines how he was nursing wounds after being been stabbed and shot in Libya. -Telegraph
    Djokovic vents at the umpire for a shout out during the last game after being been seen by the trainer. The world No 1 is rattled here and has just seen his level drop the last game or so. -Telegraph
    A horse has been left with a gunshot wound after being been shot in the face in a field in Wiltshire. -BBC
    Stephen Fry’s attempt to kill himself last year happened while he was filming a BBC2 documentary in Africa about the mistreatment of gay people, it has emerged.

The actor and TV presenter had been in Uganda, a country famous for its intolerance of homosexuality, when he tried to commit suicide with a cocktail of vodka and pills.

Mr Fry was saved after being been discovered in his hotel room, a day after the production had completed filming in the country, by its producer and director Fergus O’Brien. -Daily Mail
    Are these all a merely typo or some kind of mistake in editing?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    The number is not unusually high, and they might be typos (thinking of one thing while typing a different word) or editing mistakes (trying to change "after having been" to "after being" but forgetting to delete the participle, or vice versa).

JungKim

Korean
    The number is not unusually high, and they might be typos (thinking of one thing while typing a different word) or editing mistakes (trying to change "after having been" to "after being" but forgetting to delete the participle, or vice versa).
    I meant, "unusually high" for a typo or an error. But thanks for confirming that this is no more than an error on the part of the editor. It's interesting, though, that these errors are mostly on the British papers. Just saying.

Barque

Tamil
    I'm a little surprised that you sound so irritated, Glenfarclas, especially considering JungKim was quite polite.

By "just saying", he means that his statement that these errors are mostly in British papers is matter-of-fact and doesn't mean he thinks the British are more prone to this mistake.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    It's an error which is curiously difficult to spot, JungKim: I had to read your question more than once to see what the problem was. I think that if you come across eg "after being been shot" your brain first registers it as "after being shot", then spots the "been" and automatically corrects it to "after having been shot".

I suppose it reflects the fact that native speakers tend to read in clusters rather than one word at a time.

JungKim

Korean
    It's an error which is curiously difficult to spot, JungKim: I had to read your question more than once to see what the problem was. I think that if you come across eg "after being been shot" your brain first registers it as "after being shot", then spots the "been" and automatically corrects it to "after having been shot".

I suppose it reflects the fact that native speakers tend to read in clusters rather than one word at a time.
    Thanks, Loob.
    Does the boldfaced portion mean something like "accepts it to mean" or "mistakes it for"?

Anyway, it's good to know that this type of mistake can easily be overlooked by native speakers. :thumbsup:

Loob

English UK
    By "automatically corrects it to" I meant something closer to "reads it as", JungKim: the mistake doesn't even register.

< Previous | Next >