after considering/considered

fatfat116

Chinese
Hello everyone. I am learning about the phase recently. I found that I can use after as a conjunction or a preposition. Here are examples:

After considering the situation, my boss fired me.
After considered the situation, my boss fired me (after considered the situation, just rephrase it to the beginning)

If I am right in both sentences, which one is more common or native in daily usage? Thank you very much.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You can say "After considering..." (preposition) or "After he considered..." (conjunction).

You could also say "After having considered..."(preposition), and you can any tense following "after" (conjunction), except the future tense.

fatfat116

Chinese
    You can say "After considering..." (preposition) or "After he considered..." (conjunction).

You could also say "after having considered..."(preposition).
    so do you mean when i use it as a conjunction, i can’t omit a noun even if i place it at the end of a sentence? Thank you.

lingobingo

English - England
    considering (present participle) is a non-finite verb form.

considered is a finite (inflected) verb form that needs a subject.

In “after considered the situation” there is no subject. That’s why it makes no sense.

It so happens that the past participle of the verb is also “considered” – but that’s not how it’s being used here.

fatfat116

Chinese
    considering (present participle) is a non-finite verb form.

considered is a finite (inflected) verb form that needs a subject.

In “after considered the situation” there is no subject. That’s why it makes no sense.

It so happens that the past participle of the verb is also “considered” – but that’s not how it’s being used here.

Thank you. I got it now. :)

< Previous | Next >