After finishing the final examination,...

Carolee

Chinese-Hong Kong
Good morning (from Hong Kong) my friends, I have another question here.

Is it idiomatic to say " After finishing the final examination.... " or you normally would say " After the final examination...." ?

Thank you very much.

• Carolee

Chinese-Hong Kong
    I forgot the way to attach a photo ( which I did it once ), please advise, I would like to upload the original paragraph. Thanks a lot.

sdgraham

USA English
    No dear, I saw this printed on a handout. It was " me" the writer is going to be taken to Ocean.
    I think you're trying to say, "After I finish the examination, my parents are going to take me to Ocean Park.
    By way of an example, I had an English professor who used the following example of what he called a barbarism:
    "After kissing my mother good bye, the train left." :rolleyes:

Carolee

Chinese-Hong Kong
    I think you're trying to say, "After I finish the examination, my parents are going to take me to Ocean Park.
    By way of an example, I had an English professor who used the following example of what he called a barbarism:
    LOL, this is a good one.

Carolee

Chinese-Hong Kong
    You are right, the boy was the one who was going to sit for the examination.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Going back to the original question, you can certainly say, in BE: "After I've finished the final examination...".

It would be quite normal, in fact, because in the UK most major school examinations are taken as a series of exams, one or more for each individual subject, and so it's not until you've taken the last one that you've actually "finished your exams". :)

Carolee

Chinese-Hong Kong
    Going back to the original question, you can certainly say, in BE: "After I've finished the final examination...".

It would be quite normal, in fact, because in the UK most major school examinations are taken as a series of exams, one or more for each individual subject, and so it's not until you've taken the last one that you've actually "finished your exams". :)
    Thank you DonnyB, " After I have finished the final examination, my parents are going to take me to Ocean Park." ;)

< Previous | Next >