after four years of studying my Chinese is not as good as it should be

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by unworldlythoughts, Nov 12, 2017.

1. unworldlythoughts Member

italian
    Hello everybody, yesterday night I asked a chinese person to translate this sentence for me:

"after four years of studying my chinese is not as good as it should be"

Now I am almost sure about the sentence she said although I think my sleepy brain has modified something. Here's what I remember:

"四年的程度我还得进一步"

I just want your confirmation that this is the sentence a native speaker would naturally use, and if you have alternative ways to convey the same message they are absolutely welcome!

Thanks in advance!

2. NewAmerica

NewAmerica Senior Member

Mandarin
    No, "四年的程度我还得进一步" sounds awkward, strange and unintelligible and I believe no native Chinese speaker would say something like that.

"after four years of studying my Chinese is not as good as it should be" simply means:

”学了四年啦,我的中文应该更好才对。"

3. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Here is a quite native to blame yourself. :oops:
    “我学了四年中文,才这种程度!”

"Someone 学了四年 something, 才这种程度!" implying the result is not as good as it should be.

4. nylg85

nylg85 Senior Member

Chinese
    我已学了四年中文,程度仍未如所愿。
    I've been learning Chinese for four years but still not as good as I supposed to be.

5. unworldlythoughts Member

italian
    Ok thanks for the examples!!
    I just want to make sure that you all agree that what I remember is utterly non-native or even wrong, right? And I would also like to know how to use "进一步" to convey the message, since im sure this expression was used...

6. NewAmerica

NewAmerica Senior Member

Mandarin
    学了四年,中文仍不理想,看来我还得进一步努力呀。

7. unworldlythoughts Member

italian
    Awesome :))
    Thanks a lot everybody!!