After having eaten

Mary2506

English - England
Hey,

I am confused about how to say 'After having eaten' in german.

My best shot is: Danach habe ich gegessen

But I'm guesing that would be after I ate...

Thank you!

Mary x

• Derselbe

Deutsch, German, ドイツ語
    Hey,

I am confused about how to say 'After having eaten' in german.

My best shot is: Danach habe ich gegessen

But I'm guesing that would be after I ate...

Thank you!

Mary x
    Danach habe ich gegessen = Then/After that i ate
    After having eaten = Nachdem ich gegessen hatte, main clause Präteritum
    After I ate = Nachdem ich gegessen hatte, main clause Präteritum

In German we are not really able to express a difference between the latter two, I'm afraid. I guess one could try to do so but it wouldn't come out natural I think. After + past is usually translated with "nachdem", and "nachdem" usually stands with Vorgergangenheit in German. I guess you could try to say "Nachdem ich gegessen gehabt habe" or something similar, but those attempts to express "Aspekt" as opposed to "Zeit" are considered bad or even wrong German by most of the German natives.

If you give me some examples of the difference between "after having eaten" and "after I ate" I'll try to figure out how to express it in German.

Last edited:

Toadie

English
    I believe if you use the present form of haben, it would still be correct, but implying that you will eat in the future.

For example:
    "Nachdem ich gegessen hatte, sah ich fern."
    -but-
    "Nachdem ich gegessen habe, werde ich fernsehen."

I believe "nachdem ich aß" would work the same way "nachdem ich gegessen hatte" would.

Derselbe

Deutsch, German, ドイツ語
    Thanks, Toadie! But you couldn't say "Nachdem ich gegessen habe, bin ich in die Stadt gegangen"?
    You will hear sentences like this quite frequently in Germany. But it's not very good grammar. And if it's said like this, it's just meant to replace "hatte" because the speaker is lazy. It's not meant to express a difference as "after having eaten" and "after I ate".

severin83

Austrian German
    Moderator note:
    This post, and those triggered by it, are split to this thread, please continue discussion there. :)

In Austria you might even hear something like "Nachdem ich gegessen gehabt habe", as the Austrians, for some odd reasons, tend to avoid the preterite like the plague, they sometimes even build the plusquamperfect with the perfect form of haben. :)
    lg

Last edited by a moderator:

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Thanks, Toadie! But you couldn't say "Nachdem ich gegessen habe, bin ich in die Stadt gegangen"?
    No, it's simply that their construction is different from ours. In fact, theirs makes more sense since both "eating" and "going to the city" occur in the past, but "eating" occurs even more in the past. :)

Actually in English both are fine: After I ate / had eaten, I... and indeed the past perfect (had) sounds slightly more formal.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >