After I <did><had done> the washing up, I sat down and and read the newspaper

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
Thanks for reading my post.

Sample sentences:
After I <did><had done> the washing up, I sat down and and read the newspaper

Question:

what's the main difference between 2 choices and which one would be grammatically correct and more natural to say?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

• owlman5

English-US
    what's the main difference between 2 choices and which one would be grammatically correct and more natural to say?
    There really isn't any difference in meaning. Because the sequence of events is clear without using the past perfect, the use of that tense seems a little obtrusive to me.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    There really isn't any difference in meaning. Because the sequence of events is clear without using the past perfect, the use of that tense seems a little obtrusive to me.
    thanks for your reply. Please correct me if I get you wrong
    1. Do you mean the past simple will be more appropriate in this case?
    2. If we used 'when' instead of 'after', the past perfect would be clearer and more appropriate to say

owlman5

English-US
    1. Do you mean the past simple will be more appropriate in this case?
    It would be my first choice. I don't use the past perfect that much in my speech or writing. Generally, the past simple and a few adverbs of time are enough to express the sequence of events in a narrative about the past.

2. Yes. When I did the washing up, I sat down and read the newspaper:confused: This version doesn't make any sense.

Wanbicoi

Vietnam
    It would be my first choice. I don't use the past perfect that much in my speech or writing. Generally, the past simple and a few adverbs of time are enough to express the sequence of events in a narrative about the past.

2. Yes. When I did the washing up, I sat down and read the newspaper:confused: This version doesn't make any sense.
    Yeah I see your point. Thanks a lot for your answer. It helped ^^

< Previous | Next >