after she gets well, she would have to take it easy (subjunctive)

TheNikus

German
Hi. I'm trying to translate this sentences, and I'm struggling with using the subjunctive the way my grammar guide says.

"He said that after she gets well, she would have to take it easy for a while before he would let her go out again."

This is what I came up with:

Dijo que después de ella recuperarse, tendría que cuidarse un rato antes de que él la dejara salir otra vez.

Is that alright?

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "He said that after she gets got well, she would have to take it easy for a while before he would let her go out again."
    Or "...gets...will...will..."
    "Dijo que después (de) que ella se recuperara,..."
    I hope your grammar guide said to use the subjunctive in temporal clauses that refer to future time.
    That "future time" is relative: although "recuperarse" might have happened in your-and-my past time, it is in the future relative to "Dijo".

SevenDays

Spanish
    He: "Después de que se recupere, tendrá que cuidarse por un tiempo antes de que la deje salir otra vez."
    We use the subjunctive because it refers to the future
    Reported speech:
    (A) Dijo que después de que se recupere, tendrá que cuidarse por un tiempo antes de que la deje salir otra vez
    (B) Dijo que después de que se recupere/recuperase, tendría que cuidarse por un tiempo andes de que la dejara/dejase salir otra vez
    In reported speech, the idea is that tenses shift back. If you follow that guidance, you end up with (B). However, shifting back isn't always required or needed. The thing about (B) is that it weakens the message; we lose some of the conviction/firmness that the speaker conveyed in direct speech. For that reason, (A) is, for some, the preferred choice (and where the "reported speech" is stated, of course, in "dijo que").

TheNikus

German
    Thank you for your answers so far.

I learned that when using conjunctions like "después (de que)" and "antes (de que)" in complex sentences, one must always use an infinitive construction if the two sentences have the same subject.

Antes de que llegara, todo estaba bien.
    Antes de irse, prometió que volvería.

Since "she got well" and "she would have to take it easy" have the same subject, I wrote "después de ella recuperarse, tendría que cuidarse," but I guess you disagree. Is it that "después de ella recuperarse" is too clunky?

And the direct statement would be "Después de recuperarte, tendrás que cuidarte por un tiempo antes de que te deje salir otra vez," i.e. "After you get well, you'll have to take it easy for a while before I let you go out again."

Last edited:

IMD90

Banned
    Español/Colombia
    Hi. I'm trying to translate this sentences, and I'm struggling with using the subjunctive the way my grammar guide says.

"He said that after she gets well, she would have to take it easy for a while before he would let her go out again."

This is what I came up with:

Dijo que después de ella recuperarse, tendría que cuidarse un rato antes de que él la dejara salir otra vez.

Is that alright?
    (ÉL) dijo que ella después de recuperarse/mejorarse tendría/tendrá/tiene que cuidarse por un tiempo antes de que la dejara/dejase/deje salir otra vez.

SevenDays

Spanish
    Thank you for your answers so far.

I learned that when using conjunctions like "después (de que)" and "antes (de que)" in complex sentences, one must always use an infinitive construction if the two sentences have the same subject.

Antes de que llegara, todo estaba bien.
    Antes de irse, prometió que volvería.

Since "she got well" and "she would have to take it easy" have the same subject, I wrote "después de ella recuperarse, tendría que cuidarse," but I guess you disagree. Is it that "después de ella recuperarse" is too clunky?

And the direct statement would be "Después de recuperarte, tendrás que cuidarte por un tiempo antes de que te deje salir otra vez," i.e. "After you get well, you'll have to take it easy for a while before I let you go out again."
    To simplify things:
    después de + infinitivo
    después de que + subjuntivo (conjugated)

And then comes something totally subjective, depending on context: whether a particular construction sounds "clunky" (your term) or not. So, yes "después de ella recuperarse, tendría que cuidarse" sounds too clunky (though it's technically correct); what happens is that "ella," which is the subject of the infinitive and of "vendría," is sort of hidden inside a "de phrase;" better to move "ella" higher in the sentence:" dijo que ella, después de recuperarse, tendría que cuidarse por un tiempo. With "después de que" we need the subjunctive, and the subjunctive has to be conjugated: dijo que ella, después de que se recupere, tendría que cuidarse.

< Previous | Next >