after the next month

< Previous | Next >

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,
Does this sentence make sense to you? Am I using "after the next month" correctly?

Bus fares are going up after the next month.

What I want to say is that bus fares are to go up from August (assuming it is now July).

Thanks in advance.

• Trisia

Romanian
    How's "the bus fares will be going up in two months' time"?

EDIT: Wait a bit. If we're in July, and the bus fares go up in August (starting August 1st), then it's not after next month, it's just "next month" :p

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hello everyone,
    Does this sentence make sense to you? Am I using "after the next month" correctly?

Bus fares are going up after the next month.

What I want to say is that bus fares are to go up from August (assuming it is now July).

Thanks in advance.
    This is how I would say it
    --The bus fares will go up starting next month.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    As others pointed out, if it is July now, after next month = after the month that is coming next, which is August, so bus fares will go up/increase after August, hence in September.

If you want to say they will go up in August, you can't use "after next month". You could say "after this month" or simply "next month".

EDIT: I think "from next month" is fine, however you might need to say "from the beginning of next month."

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    You wouldn't say that bus fares will be "increased from next month" unless there was going to be a continuous increase.

Hmm. You're making me rethink the edit of my last post. I was thinking the suggestion of "from next month on" would imply an increase each month, starting next month, but without "on" there wouldn't be that implication.

I'm thinking you're right, however, and perhaps it could be avoided by saying "Bus fares will be higher from next month." I think the best option, which avoids all confusion, has already been suggested: "Bus fares will increase next month."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hmm. You're making me rethink the edit of my last post. I was thinking the suggestion of "from next month on" would imply an increase each month, starting next month, but without "on" there wouldn't be that implication.

I'm thinking you're right, however, and perhaps it could be avoided by saying "Bus fares will be higher from next month." I think the best option, which avoids all confusion, has already been suggested: "Bus fares will increase next month."
    Agreed.

Or "Bus fares will go up next month".

expenseroso

United States, English
    Just to clear up all confusion, the best way to state it, assuming you know the exact date and fares, would be "On August XX, bus fares will increase from X.XX to X.XX"

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    No, I want to say it's going up next month.
    Hi Akasaka,
    It appears that you have your answer. :) You said,"I want to say it's going up next month.". It follows that you will also say, "Bus fares are going up next month.". Don't you think so?:)

Akasaka

Japanese
    Let me get this straight. I would like to know if "after the next month" is correct or not. The answer I got was it can't be used in the sentence I wrote unless I make it "after next month."
    Now I want to know whether after the next month can be used in another tense or not? For example, if we are talking about the past, and a particular month. Can I say "The bus fare went up after the next moth."?

expenseroso

United States, English
    "The next month" can't be used in the past tense in that context. You might say "The bus fare went up after last month" or "The bus fare went up after last [April]" (substituting whatever month it was for [April]).

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    The answer I got was it can't be used in the sentence I wrote unless I make it "after next month."
    Yes, but the meaning is not as you intended.
    If you say "Bus fares are going up after next month", that's saying "Bus fares are going up the month after next". That's a month later than "Bus fares are going up next month."

Now I want to know whether after the next month can be used in another tense or not? For example, if we are talking about the past, and a particular month. Can I say "The bus fare went up after the next moth."?
    If you want to talk about "the next month" with reference to a point in the past, you'll say "the month after". For example, "The bus fares went up the month after I started taking buses to school.". Note that you use "the month after" and not "a month after" because "a month after" usually means "30 days later".

< Previous | Next >