after the rush of rescuing me from the rage of something ..

Kitty 123

Chinese
Hi, guys.
I recently came across this sentence when reading an article and I am not quite clear about what it means.
Its source is listed as follows.

Source: New York Times, March 29, 2012
Title: Getting to That Safe Place
Author: Elisabeth Fairfield Stokes

Sentence:
He was affectionate, tender; told me I was beautiful, that he loved me. I was broken, exhausted ,lost, and I left him take care of me, but the long goodbye began when the tough-girl facade he found so irresistible inevitably slipped. The fragility it had masked was more than he was interested in dealing with, after the rush of rescuing me from the rage of something he didn’t understand.

[...]

Q: "After the rush of rescuing me from the rage of something he didn’t understand." Why "rage"? Before dating the man, the author was living in the aftermath of an emotionally and physically abusive relationship that had left her dazed and shaky. She was broken, exhausted, lost. Then why "rage"? Where does the "rage" come from?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nettle*

Russian
    Hi, Kitty. I think the girl's being brokenhearted, exhausted, lost, and generally all the background he comes from, all her history, it all can be called the rage. A life full of anger, violence, aggression...

< Previous | Next >