after thirty minutes' discussion

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Error Recognition: If you find all words correct, select [No Error], but if a word is incorrect, select the wrong word.

The proposal was repealed after thirty minutes' discussion and a number of objections to its failure to include our suggestions. No Error.

A. thirty minutes'
B. to its
C. failure to include
D. No Error (Answer Key)

Source: Iran University Entrance Examination for Master of Arts students.

Hello,
I say to myself that [thirty minutes' discussion] is wrong with the possessive apostrophe. I say to myself that it should have been [after a thirty minute discussion]. Aren't I right?

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    All correct:

thirty minutes' discussion
    thirty minutes of discussion
    a thirty-minute discussion

And I don't see anything wrong with the other two by themselves, but I do fail to understand the entire sentence.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong but the sentence seems to me to make perfect sense: The reason why the proposal was repealed was that it didn't include our suggestions...

Loob

English UK
    (I'd have said the error was "repealed" - I don't think you can repeal a proposal....)

Myridon

English - US
    I think "failure to include" should be "failure include." The objections to its failure include our suggestions. However, "a number of the objects include our suggestions" implies that our suggestions were repeated in several objections which is odd.
    I think the bit about the proposal is a cultural error, not a grammatical error.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I think "failure to include" should be "failure include." The objections to its failure include our suggestions. However, "a number of the objects include our suggestions" implies that our suggestions were repeated in several objections which is odd.
    I think the bit about the proposal is a cultural error, not a grammatical error.
    In the original, the proposal was repealed after two things:
    1. thirty minutes' discussion
    2. a number of objections to its failure to include our suggestions
    "to include our suggestions" modifies and explains the word "failure".

But I can't understand what the sentence would mean if "to" were omitted:(
    --------------
    Note, according to the task, the sentence is correct.

< Previous | Next >