after what felt like a hundred years

birdieb

Georgian
The next morning, after what felt like a hundred years, she awoke.

--Is the sentence correct? I feel what and a hundred years are overlapped. And I change it to:

The next morning, after feeling like a hundred years, she awoke. What do you think of it? Thanks

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Your correction completely changes the meaning of the sentence in my opinion.

'The next morning, after what felt like a hundred years...' - when she woke she had the impression that a hundred years (i.e. a long period of time) had passed.
    This sentence seems OK to me.

'The next morning, after feeling like a hundred years....' doesn't make much sense but it almost sounds like she felt a hundred years old.

spodulike

English - England
    The next morning, after feeling like a hundred years, she awoke.
    "she" is the subject of the verb "to feel"

"what" is the subject of the verb "to feel"
    We can paraphrase the latter as follows ...

The next morning, after a period of time that felt like a hundred years, she awoke

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    "what" is the subject of the verb "to feel"
    We can paraphrase the latter as follows ...

The next morning, after a period of time that felt like a hundred years, she awoke
    Really? I thought it was:

The next morning, after a period of time that she felt like a hundred years, she awoke

spodulike

English - England
    Really? I thought it was:

The next morning, after a period of time that she felt like a hundred years, she awoke
    No, that is incorrect. You could change the sentence to make it the way you want as follows ...

The next morning, after a period of time that she felt was like a hundred years, she awoke.

Here´s an example to make it clear: "That feels good to me" Subject ... verb ... adjective ... indirect object

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    No, that is incorrect. You could change the sentence to make it the way you want as follows ...

The next morning, after a period of time that she felt was like a hundred years, she awoke.

Here´s an example to make it clear: "That feels good to me" Subject ... verb ... adjective ... indirect object
    Interesting! Thank you

Forero

--Is the sentence correct? I feel what and a hundred years are overlapped. And I change it to:

The next morning, after feeling like a hundred years, she awoke. What do you think of it? Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, Birdiep.

What felt like a hundred years is a relative clause used as the object of after. It means "an amount of time that seemed to be a hundred years." The amount of time that had passed felt (to her) like a hundred years. What here is a relative pronoun representing "an amount of time that".

I would not say that she, or the morning, felt like a hundred years, so "feeling like a hundred years" does not make sense to me here.

< Previous | Next >