After working for several years, we scrimped and saved

Hale Chen

Chinese
Hi, everyone. Please see the following sentence I read in an article.

After working for several years, we scrimped and saved to build a 3-storey house in the county capital, and life got better.

Is there any problem with the bold part in grammar or meaning? Thanks in advance.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Which part of it specifically do you want to ask us about, please: I'm afraid we can't check or comment on the whole thing.

Hale Chen

Chinese
    Which part of it specifically do you want to ask us about, please: I'm afraid we can't check or comment on the whole thing.
    oh, sorry, i will try to let you know what i want to ask. As for the bold part, the source text means literally that during several years of work, we had scrimped and saved, and finally we built a 3-storey house in the county capital.

So, does the original translation express the meaning of the source text, is it OK in grammar? Thanks:)

Hale Chen

Chinese
    The way the sentence reads, we worked for several years, then we scrimped ...
    So according to the source text, should I change the original sentence to this: After working for several years, we had scrimped and saved to build a 3-storey house in the county capital, and life got better.

heypresto

English - England
    No. This still has the problem that SwissPete pointed out. If you scrimped and saved while you were working, you can't start the sentence with 'after working'.

Hale Chen

Chinese
    No. This still has the problem that SwissPete pointed out. If you scrimped and saved while you were working, you can't start the sentence with 'after working'.
    Thanks to @heypresto. So, based on the source text, will you give some suggestions on the original sentence? :)

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Try this:
    After working and scrimping for several years, we had saved (enough) to build a 3-storey house in the county capital, and life got better.​

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >