After working out a month's notice

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Lorena1970, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Banned

Italy, Italiano
    Hi all,

Could someone properly translate "after working out a mont's notice".
    We are talking about people that are resigning from a company to move to a different one.

"After working out a month’s notice they, at last, will follow John into the new company."
    "Dopo aver concluso un mese di preavviso (??? :confused:), alla fine seguiranno John nella nuova società"

It doesn't sound appropriate to my ears, though probably I got the meaning...???:confused:

Thank you:)

2. pescara Senior Member

Connecticut
    English-USA
    I think you correctly understood "a month's notice." For "working out," I'd suggest the expression "mettersi d'accordo." Could it work here?

Ciao.

3. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    Do you mean that they agreed on a month's notice with their current employer or that they fulfilled their obligation to continue working for a month?

4. pescara Senior Member

Connecticut
    English-USA
    Actually, after reading this, I think it probably means that they fulfilled their obligation to continue working for a month before leaving, rather than agreeing to a month's notice, so I think concluso makes sense.

Ciao.

5. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Banned

Italy, Italiano
    That's what wasn't clear to me too...I can add that resigning from the former company to follow John into the new one wasn't, for complicate reasons, such an easy issue.

I have the feeling this is the proper interpretation.

Thanks a lot both of you!:)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009