afternoon/in the afternoon

One Heart

Egyptian Arabic
Hi

I would like you to check the sentences below:

A. I would like the appointment to be afternoon/in the afternoon/one afternoon.

I think that it must be in the afternoon or one afternoon. Do in the afternoon and one afternoon mean the same in this sentence?

B. I would like to set the appointment in the afternoon.
This sentence means that I will make the appointment for me/somebody in the afternoon (in the afternoon is NOT the time of the appointment by the time of deciding the time of the appointment).

• owlman5

English-US
    In (A), you really need to use the preposition before "afternoon". Afternoon is a noun here; you already refer to a noun (appointment), and you need the preposition to turn "afternoon" into an adverbial phrase of time.

In (B), your reader is likely to be confused by your meaning. I would read it to mean that you would like the appointment to take place in the afternoon. You should probably recast that sentence if you want your reader to understand that you plan to call some afternoon and make an appointment for another time.

One Heart

Egyptian Arabic
    I thought that B means what you said that it wouldn't mean Owlman5 'if you want your reader to understand that you plan to call some afternoon and make an appointment for another time'.

owlman5

English-US
    When you say that "I would like to set the appointment in the afternoon", your reader or listener will probably understand it to mean that you want the appointment to take place in the afternoon. Saying something like "I'd like to call in the afternoon to set an appointment" will help convey your meaning.

< Previous | Next >