afterthought

< Previous | Next >
  • Magda

    Member
    USA - English
    it occurred to me as an afterthought that … = después se me ocurrió que …
    the last song was added on as an afterthought = la última canción fue una idea de último momento
    Amy was a bit of an afterthought = Amy nació cuando ya no pensaban tener más niños
    they invited me as an afterthought = no habían pensado invitarme
     

    Aleda

    Senior Member
    Spanish Argentina
    o también se dice cuando alguien pensó o no dos veces antes de hacer algo, por ej: "With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody".
     

    cristóbal

    Senior Member
    EEUU/Inglés
    Aleda said:
    o también se dice cuando alguien pensó o no dos veces antes de hacer algo, por ej: "With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody".
    quieres decir "forethought"?
     

    Terry Mount

    Senior Member
    U S A
    Aleda said:
    o también se dice cuando alguien pensó o no dos veces antes de hacer algo, por ej: "With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody".
    "With no further thought" = sin pensar más
     

    gdiaz

    Senior Member
    Chile - Español
    With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody - Sin pensarlo dos veces, salió y les gritó a todos.

    it occurred to me as an afterthought that … - Se me ocurrió de repente/a última hora que...

    La palabra tiene sentidos diversos segun el contexto. Get it?
     

    Oven

    Senior Member
    Chile, Spanish,pseudo-English, lame portuguese and french
    y una traduccion para forethought? Se podria decir 'vision' en el sentido de la idea de un visionario ?
     

    Terry Mount

    Senior Member
    U S A
    gdiaz said:
    With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody - Sin pensarlo dos veces, salió y les gritó a todos.

    it occurred to me as an afterthought that … - Se me ocurrió de repente/a última hora que...

    La palabra tiene sentidos diversos segun el contexto. Get it?
    Hi, gdiaz. Your second example here is excellent, but I don't get the first English version: With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody.

    And I find only two meanings in my Merriam-Webster::

    afterthought = Reflection after an act. In the sentence provided, it doesn't seem that this refers to "after the act of screaming but before it.

    = a later or subsequent thought or expedient. Again, this seems to refer to before the screaming rather than subsequent to it. At least, that's the way I read it. To me, 'afterthought' sounds very strange.

    So I guess I don't get it. I'm not trying to be difficult. It may simply be that I don't understand fully the meaning of "afterthought."
     

    Terry Mount

    Senior Member
    U S A
    Oven said:
    y una traduccion para forethought? Se podria decir 'vision' en el sentido de la idea de un visionario ?
    Forethought = la deliberación mental que se hace antes de tomar una acción o decisión:
     

    gdiaz

    Senior Member
    Chile - Español
    Terry Mount said:
    Hi, gdiaz. Your second example here is excellent, but I don't get the first English version: With no aftertought he went out and screamed to everybody.

    And I find only two meanings in my Merriam-Webster::

    afterthought = Reflection after an act. In the sentence provided, it doesn't seem that this refers to "after the act of screaming but before it.

    = a later or subsequent thought or expedient. Again, this seems to refer to before the screaming rather than subsequent to it. At least, that's the way I read it. To me, 'afterthought' sounds very strange.

    So I guess I don't get it. I'm not trying to be difficult. It may simply be that I don't understand fully the meaning of "afterthought."
    The person went out and screamed after a first reflection without a second one, but all this before the act.
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top