against Iran alongside Israel

LQZ

Mandarin
Writing in the pan-Arab newspaper Al Quds Al Arabi, for instance, the editor, Abdel-Beri Atwan, said that with recent developments “the Arab regimes, and the gulf ones in particular, will find themselves part of a new alliance against Iran alongside Israel.”----taken from New York Times
Dear all,

I am confused about the meaning of the part in red, because I don't know whether others Arab regimes or Iran would align with Israel. Some of my classmates told me they know clearly that it means Arab regimes and Israel would confront Iran together and that it is ambiguous for me to understand, because I don't have any political background. Could you please tell me how I can comprehend "alongside"? Thanks.

LQZ

• Talant

Yes. It does means that some Arab countries will be "enemies" of Iran, and thus, "allies" in a sort of Israel. They'll fight "side by side" Israel against "Iran".

How would that happen? I don't know. Ask Abdel-Beri Atwan. Maybe because they don't want Iran to be too well armed.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    I agree with your classmates' interpretation - the arab regimes, by going against Iran, will find themselves in the unusual position of being on the same side as Israel.

< Previous | Next >