age begins (starts) to tell / taking its toll

< Previous | Next >

Dmitry87

Russian - The Russian Federation
Hi, there!

Imagine a situation:
Let's say there's a guy. He's 35 now. :)

It appears that:
- he is no longer able to hang out untill the morning because he can't help sleeping, or he doesn't feel like joining the night adventures with his friends, sauna and all the implications and he would rather stay at home instead. Or
- he starts getting hangover after the birthday party unlike when he was 25. Or
- maybe he was a good runner, but now he's getting winded and tired too fast

In general, when he grow older he's getting out of shape (in different senses, if I could say so), become less interested in doing some crazy stuff, and, at the same time, more lazy, prone to some diseases etc.

Can I say in this case "age begins to tell (on somebody)" or "age starts taking its toll" ?

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Both seem a bit strong when talking about a 35 year old.:rolleyes:
    You could possibly say "He's showing his age" [maybe in a sarcastic/mocking tone, if said to him directly and you feel his attitude is premature]

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    You can indeed say that age is beginning to tell or is taking its toll on somebody — but usually not until they’re at least twice that age! :eek::D

Dmitry87

Both seem a bit strong when talking about a 35 year old.:rolleyes:
    You could possibly say "He's showing his age" [maybe in a sarcastic/mocking tone, if said to him directly and you feel his attitude is premature]
    You can indeed say that age is beginning to tell or is taking its toll on somebody — but usually not until they’re at least twice that age! :eek::D
    Yeah, I thought of using it in a jokeing or sarcastic way towards yourself or another person. Of course a 35 years old can't be referred to as aged. I've come up with a couple of examples:
    A: How did the marathon go?
    B: Oh, don't ask; I thought I was going to die after 1 km. Seems like age [...]

A: Hey, man! Let's go party tomorrow's night! Drink is provided! The chances are Karen will be there, you must remember her!
    B: I don't know, maybe next time..
    A: Oh, man, it's not you. Where's my old reveller B ?
    B: I think I'm tired of it all
    A: Yeah, age [...]

Wha can I put in the brackets?

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    My comment was just meant as a joke. I’ve already said that you can use those expressions, and F-f has given you another, even more common, one.

Dmitry87

My comment was just meant as a joke. I’ve already said that you can use those expressions, and F-f has given you another, even more common, one.
    Now I see :)
    Thank you lingobingo very much!
    And Franco-filly too

< Previous | Next >