age well

< Previous | Next >

ticcota

Japanese
Hi,

When some woman seems quite young for her age, if I say:"She seems to age well." does it make sense?

Thank you.

• grubble

British English
    Yes or we could say "She seems to have aged well". I wouldn't say it to the woman herself though! :warn:

It means "She is quite old, but she looks younger than her age"

temple09

English - British
    One can also use this for things such as foods (cheese for example) or drinks (especially wine). To say it ages well means that it gets better with age.
    Although, when talking about a person, it doesn't directly imply that they have improved their looks as they have got older. It simply means that as they look very good for their age.

ticcota

Japanese
    Yes or we could say "She seems to have aged well". I wouldn't say it to the woman herself though! :warn:

It means "She is quite old, but she looks younger than her age"

Thank you.

So even if there's this woman who brings up about her age herself, I should not say "You look to age well" right to her face?

Thank you.

So even if there's this woman who brings up about her age herself, I should not say "You look to age well" right to her face?

Thank you.
    Probably not. In such situations, it is conventional to reply with disbelief - something like "What? I can't believe you're 70! You look great!" Adding "for your age" or "you've aged well" would lessen the pleasant nature of the complement by emphasizing the woman's age rather than her appearance.

< Previous | Next >