aggro

< Previous | Next >

Ivan Dmitri

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi,
I've checked the meaning of the word aggro and it was written that it was a word used only in UK. Although, I've seen this word in an American series. Is this word used in US? And is this word really used at all (I've checked an frequency dictionary and it appeared in the position 55000)?

By the way, the sentence was: "[...]With the med's still wearing off, there's no chance of me going aggro just yet [...]"

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, Ivan.

I encountered aggro when I worked in the UK, but not on this side of the pond.

"An American series" doesn't tell us much unless you identify it.

With the med's meds still wearing off,....
    And, you should note that an apostrophe is never used to form the plural of a noun. It's a distressingly common error by even native English speakers.

Ivan Dmitri

Portuguese - Brazil
    Thank you very much.
    The series is called "Beauty and the beast", season 1, episode 22

And thank you for the correction.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hi,
    I've checked the meaning of the word agro and it was written that it was a word used only in UK. Although, I've seen this word in an American series. Is this word used in US? And is this word really used at all (I've checked an frequency dictionary and it appeared in the position 55000)?

By the way, the sentence was: "[...]With the meds still wearing off, there's no chance of me going aggro [agro?] just yet [...]"
    It is not used in the UK in this construction - we do not "go" agro.

We can cause/give/see some/do some/ agro or ask someone if they want any agro. It is an abbreviation of "aggravation" (uncountable noun.)

Myridon

English - US
    I think this is a special usage within this TV show. Vincent, the "beast" character, transforms into a beast-like being when he's angry. Just as Bruce Bannor "hulks out" and turns into the Incredible Hulk, Vincent "goes aggro" and turns into the Beast.

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    I've never come across this usage myself, but the Online Slang Dicyionaru saus

"aggro adjective
    • wild almost to the point of losing control, but effective.
      When you got up on the table and started lecturing us, that was pretty aggro!​
    • aggravated; angry.
      Everything was cool then he just went aggro.

< Previous | Next >