agir au niveau de

MademoiselleMG

French - France
Bonsoir,

Je cherche à traduire la phrase suivante en anglais: "agir aux niveaux des facteurs conflictuels de manière anticipée". Je voudrais savoir si cette tentative convient: to work preventively on the conflicting factors level".
Merci par avance pour votre aide.

• Lucky19

Français de France
    Bonsoir,

Je cherche à traduire la phrase suivante en anglais: "agir aux niveaux des facteurs conflictuels de manière anticipée". Je voudrais savoir si cette tentative convient: to work preventively on the conflicting factors level".
    Merci par avance pour votre aide.
    to tackle preventively conflicting factors... ?

to tackle beforehandedly (prospective) bones of contention... ?

MademoiselleMG

French - France
    Thank you to both you. I go for "to tackle or to deal beforehand conflicting factors". Because the adverbs "beforehandedly" and "proactively" don't exist in my Harrap's dictionnary.
    The context is a cover letter for an internship within the Conflict Prevention Center of the OSCE Secretariat in Vienna.

The Prof

Thank you to both you. I go for "to tackle or to deal beforehand conflicting factors". Because the adverbs "beforehandedly" and "proactively" don't exist in my Harrap's dictionnary.
    The context is a cover letter for an internship within the Conflict Prevention Center of the OSCE Secretariat in Vienna.
    Ok. But if you decide to use 'to deal', remember to also use 'with', because the expression is 'to deal with something'.

Another possibility might be:

-to recognise and deal with / tackle conflicting factors in advance, thus preventing them from becoming an issue.

I know that the second half of the sentence isn't there in your original - I just felt that it rounded it off! It's only a suggestion, so feel free to ignore it. :)

(By the way, I've never heard of 'beforehandedly', either!)

Lucky19

Français de France
    (By the way, I've never heard of 'beforehandedly', either!)
    I checked "beforehandedly" on Internet before using it here. I saw it there and thought it was often used but maybe that it's bad English just as bad French is used too on too many sites.

MademoiselleMG

French - France
    Ok, thank you Mr The Prof'. Do you think that the adverb "in advance" is more appropriated than "beforehand"?
    Thank you for the suggestion for the second half of the sentence, but, actually I have made this yet. It is the following one:
    I am moved by the conviction that to recognize and tackle beforehand conflicting factors is to equip oneself with the wherewithal in order not to suffer incident as spectator of the tragedy but even rather to guarantee peace with determination.
    I don't know if I can use this forum to obtain your opinion as regards to this new piece of the sentence but perhaps it is possible, so I make an attempt.
    Thank you!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I checked "beforehandedly" on Internet before using it here. I saw it there and thought it was often used but maybe that it's bad English just as bad French is used too on too many sites.
    You're quite right, it's bad English or a joke. Beforehand is an adverb, so it doesn't need an adverbial ending. *Beforehandedly = *auparavantement.

The Prof

I am moved by the conviction that torecognize and tackle beforehand conflicting factors is to equip oneself with the wherewithal in order not to suffer incident as spectator of the tragedy but even rather to guarantee peace with determination.

Regarding the first half of the sentence, I would move 'beforehand':
    -...to recognise and tackle conflicting factors beforehand....

At the moment, the second half of the sentence sounds like a very 'word for word' translation, therefore rather strange in English. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what you mean by '...suffer incident...' .

I think you might be trying to say something like this:
    -...is to (equip oneself with the wherewithal to) avoid seeing a tragedy happen before your very eyes, and to help ensure peace through determination.

Actually, personally I would still like to shorten it further:
    -...to recognise and tackle conflicting factors beforehand is the best way to avoid seeing a tragedy happen before your very eyes, ....'.

If you think I've changed what you wanted to say too much, or misunderstood it, post your French version and I'm sure we'll be able to help you.
    :)

MademoiselleMG

French - France
    Thank you very much!! It corresponds very well to what I would have say. I was aware that my traduction was too much "word-for-word" and that I must improve my english!! Thank you to have taken time for help me. I go for your second version.

< Previous | Next >