Agir dans ce sens

g-emi4

Hi everyone,

I can't figure out how to say this: Si on n'agit pas dans ce sens....
Context: the author is trying to convince people that they have to use an innovative tool (that he is promoting) to fight a specific problem.
I was thinking of : If we don't act that way... but this is a bit too patronizing and I can't think of a more diplomatic kind of way of saying this, if there is one...

Can somebody help?

Last edited:
  • Indrid Cold

English (UK)/French (FR) - Bilingual
    Hi everyone,

I can't figure out how to say this: Si on n'agit pas dans ce sens....
    Context: the author is trying to convince people that they have to use an innovative tool (that he is promoting) to fight a specific problem.
    I was thinking of : If we don't act that way... but this is a bit too patronizing and I can't think of a more diplomatic kind of way of saying this, if there is one...

Can somebody help?
    Hi;
    Something like : If we don't head (or work)in that direction
    or
    If we overlook this problem

IC
    ;)

g-emi4

I thought about it again and I think i'll go with: "If we don't take measures to work in that direction"...I am not sure it is more "diplomatic" as I wanted...

Thanks a lot to the both of you for the suggestions!

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    "If we don't do this" (even more succinct than Grekh's!) is really all you need to say.

"If we don't take measures to work in that direction" is convoluted and is really reading too much into a stock (even clichéd) turn of phrase.

WordRef1

English - America
    We need to start trying to increase the size of zoos because public opinion is demanding it.
    "If we don't move in that direction, we risk being closed altogether."

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    But the question here was:

"Context: the author is trying to convince people that they have to use an innovative tool (that he is promoting) to fight a specific problem."

do this = use an innovative tool

move in this direction = move toward using an innovative tool?

WordRef1

English - America
    But the question here was:

"Context: the author is trying to convince people that they have to use an innovative tool (that he is promoting) to fight a specific problem."

do this = use an innovative tool

move in this direction = move toward using an innovative tool?
    Ok, you are right. That probably does not fit in this context.

< Previous | Next >