aglet (shoelace)

Budd

American English
In English, esp. AE, an "aglet" is the tip of a shoelace that has been wrapped in a kind of tape in order to make it pass easily through the eyelets of a shoe. The etymon of the English word is Old Fr. "aiguilette," but I can not find a translation on WR for the word. Anyone have an idea?

• Budd

American English
    Merci, but probably not. Un ferret is a steel or iron tip on the front of a shoe, I think. In AE, this is also called a "toe cap."

Budd

American English
    Embout makes more sense than ferret because it can be of any material: I wonder when the last time was that I saw a metal aglet in France or the States.

retjoun

Sesotho
    Embout makes more sense than ferret because it can be of any material: I wonder when the last time was that I saw a metal aglet in France or the States.
    The small paper cup that holds condiments (ketchup, mayonnaise, etc) is called a 'soufflé cup.' It doesn't hold soufflés anymore but was inspired by the shape of a real soufflé pan. By the same token, 'les ferrets' are 'les ferrets' even though they're no longer made from iron or another similar metal.

Kelly B

USA English
    Au final en Français on ne le nomme pas... On dit "le machin au bout de lacet", ce qui somme-toute est aussi causant que "aglet". :)
    Pour les anglophones (au moins les Américains) c'est pareil, donc les mots sont du même registre.

Kelly B

USA English
    Désolée - Nous les Américains emploient le mot "aglet" tout aussi souvent que les Français emploient le mot ferret, soit quasiment jamais, si on n'est ni cordonnier ni linguiste/amateur de langues. We, too, usually say "the little thing on the end of the shoelace."