agli occhi della gente

elleboro

Italy Italian
Secondo voi questa espressione si può rendere con " in the public eye"? Ci sono alternative migliori?

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Secondo voi questa espressione si può rendere con " in the public eye"? Ci sono alternative migliori?
    Hmmmm...

...in the public eye.
    Indica che la persona è sempre nel TV, radio...ecc. Come Carlo Conti.

...in the eyes of the public.
    ...in the eyes of the people.
    Sono "al parere del popolo".

Non so il significato della tua frase (penso il secondo).

sireal

Italian
    Ho una domanda.

Ma se volessi dire "La speranza mancava ai carcerati agli occhi di Andy" posso dire

.. that [hope] convicts seems to not have in the eyes of Andy

o dovrei utilizzare at the eyes of ?

alenaro

Italian
    Wouldn't it be possible to translate that as "in the people's eyes"? --> a loro parere, secondo il parere della gente, secondo la gente, dal punto di vista, agli occhi della gente? Thank you.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I'd say no. In the public eye does not mean from the point of view of the people, it means to be very visible to the public. Someone in the public eye would be a politician, a TV personality, a movie actor, an artist of some sort who you might see being interviewed on TV or radio, etc.

Last edited:

alenaro

Italian
    I'd say no. In the public eye does not mean from the point of view of the people, it means to be very visible to the public. Someone in the public eye would be a politician, a TV personality, a movie actor, an artist of some sort who you might see being interviewed on TV or radio, etc.
    Hi rrose, thanks. But, this is actually not the question of this thread. The user had asked how to translate into English "agli occhi della gente", didn't mention the public. Wouldn't that make a difference?

rrose17

Canada, English
    I see now, my mistake. I got confused when you quoted an earlier post asking if "in the public eye" would work. I think the more common way to say it, rather than "in the people's eyes" then would be "in the eyes of the people/public".

alenaro

Italian
    I'd say "It seemed to Andy that the prisoners had lost hope."
    Hi sound s, your translation works but maybe takes the risk of modifying the original intention of the writer. Why "seemed" and not "believed", for instance? The original sentence reads "agli occhi della gente".

rrose17

Canada, English
    I agree with soundshift. I think there’s very little difference, if any, between these two sentences.
    In Andy’s eyes the prisoners has lost hope.
    It seemed to Andy that the prisoners had lost hope.

< Previous | Next >