1. mulan_ Member

England
    Spain Spanish
    Hi,

I would like to say this in English but I don't understand quite well the difference between overwhelm and smother:

"Por favor, dime si te sientes un poco agobiado con este email" The email is for a guy that I've been seeing for a while and it says that sometimes I don't understand what he wants from me. So you can see that when I say agobiado I don't mean "muy agobiado, just "un poco agobiado"...

My go:
    "Please, let me know if you feel a bit overwhelmed with this email"
    "Please, let me know if this email smothers you a bit"
    "Please, let me know if I smother you a bit with this email"

Does it sound good? Which one is not that strong? Or should I use other words like
    "a bit snowed under with the email" or
    "a bit weighed down by the email"
    "a bit oppress with the email"
    "a bit under pressure with the email"

Thanks a lot!!

2. JoseVerde

JoseVerde Senior Member

Big Sur
    English - USA
    I think overwhelmed captures the idea well. The rest don't sound very natural. Snowed under/weighed down refer more to being under a lot of pressure from work or planning, etc.

3. mulan_ Member

England
    Spain Spanish
    Thanks a lot! How would you use smothers in this situation then? Could be "Please, let me know if you feel a bit smothered with this email"?

4. JoseVerde

JoseVerde Senior Member

Big Sur
    English - USA
    You might say that, but probably not with an e-mail. People use "smother" to refer to being inundated with attention, like a girlfriend who is always, always trying to hang out with her boyfriend: the boyfriend might say he is being smothered with attention.

5. mulan_ Member

England
    Spain Spanish
    OK, I get it, thanks a lot!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016