agonizing / excruciating accident

< Previous | Next >

AzahAzah

India - Hindi
1. Today an agonizing accident took place in our region.

2. Today an excruciating accident took place in our region.

Both 'excruciating' and 'agonizing' are adjective, and as I know the meaning of both are same. Please say what do you think about them? Do you find any difference between first and second sentence?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, AzahAzah!

I don't think either adjective works well in your sentence. "Agonizing" and "excruciating" are used to describe pain, or painful experiences, and while vehicle crashes (which is what I presume you're referring to) can certainly be panful for those in them, we wouldn't normally describe the crash itself that way. The victims may have been in excruciating pain due to their injuries, or gone through an agonizing experience as the car dangled over a cliff, but -- to my mind, at least -- neither collocates well with "accident."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I don't think either word is appropriate to describe an accident. Those adjectives are most commonly used to describe a person's pain or feeling.

Cross posted

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Yes they are use to express the speaker's attitude towards something.
    Adele's singing might be wonderful but her spoken English is excruciating.
    The words aren't synonyms either. They are sometimes used in similar contexts but not always.

manfy

German - Austria
    I'd probably say something like "Today a horrible accident happened in our region (or: near my house/just around the corner/etc.)"

Does none of the native speakers find it strange to say "an accident took place"? For me, 'taking place' has a strong connotation of a coordinated, staged, planned event, accidents on the other hand just happen, don't they?

< Previous | Next >