Agree on / to

Mydelight

Spanish-Spain
Hola. ¿Podría alguien decirme si entiendo la diferencia entre "agree to" y "agree on"? Para decir que estoy de acuerdo con alguien en hacer algo (verb), diría "I agree to...", pero si hablo de estar de acuerdo sobre una cuestión (noun), he de decir "I agree on sth."
¿Lo he diferenciado bien?
Gracias por adelantado.

• vertebrado

Banned
    espanol (Espana)
    Si no lo has diferenciado bien, al menos quedate con el consuelo de que ya somos dos los que lo interpretamos asi.

I would say:

I agree on killing them.
    I agree to kill them.

Looking forward to natives.

Espanol3200

English Britain
    Agree to do something: When someone asks you to do something and you accept.
    I agreed to help Maria paint her house this weekend.

Agree on something: Two people have the same opinions about a topic being discussed.
    My husband and I can't agree on a name for our baby.

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    Hola. ¿Podría alguien decirme si entiendo la diferencia entre "agree to" y "agree on"? Para decir que estoy de acuerdo con alguien en hacer algo (verb), diría "I agree to...", pero si hablo de estar de acuerdo sobre una cuestión (noun), he de decir "I agree on sth."
    ¿Lo he diferenciado bien?
    It takes two people to agree on something. What is your context?

Mydelight

Spanish-Spain
    I don't have any context at all... I'm sorry. I had some doubts regarding its grammatical usage.
    So... as I understand from what vertebrado said, we can use both prepositions followed by a verb. But k-in-sc says we need two people to agree on...
    I'm confused. I understand I can use both to+infinitive and on+ing/noun without making difference.

levmac

British English
    Si no lo has diferenciado bien, al menos quédate con el consuelo de que ya somos dos los que lo interpretamos así.

I would say:

I agree on killing them.
    I agree to kill them.

Looking forward to hearing from natives.
    Here the sentences are not grammatically wrong, but they don't make much sense.

1) We agreed on killing them. We agreed to kill them. (it takes two to make a dream come true!)

2) If someone suggests killing someone, and you agree, you say: "I agree, we should kill them" or "I agree about killing them"

3) "I agree to kill them" is unusual. It would be normal to say "I'll do it" to show you agree with something.

I agree with what was written above:

agree to + verb
    agree on + noun (consensus of several people)

and I will add

agree about + noun (person a agrees with person b)

vertebrado

Banned
    espanol (Espana)
    Thanks, Levmac. I'm writing the following definitions and examples drawing on what I understand from your explanation:

Agree on - consenso entre varias personas sobre un asunto (solo se conjuga en plural: Nosotros, Vosotros, Ellos)
    Agree with - coincidencia de una/s persona con el punto de vista de otra/s
    Agree to - predisposición de una/s persona/s para hacer algo sugerido por otra persona/s
    Agree about - coincidencia de una/s persona con el punto de vista de otra/s sobre un asunto en particular.

Ejemplos:
    1.- Mary and I agree on buying a new house. (Mary agrees with Me and I agree with Mary ? or Mary and I agree with a third person? or both options are possible depending on context?)
    2.- I usually agree with your opinions however you never agrees with my opinions.
    3.- Ok, I agree to buy a new house but only because you want it so badly.
    4.- Eventually I agreed with Mary about buying a new house. (y no se puede usar "on" porque el sujeto soy yo, y por tanto no se expresa consenso sino aceptación por mi parte)

Is it correct?

caelum

Canadian English
    Thanks, Levmac. I'm writing the following definitions and examples drawing on what I understand from your explanation:

Agree on - consenso entre varias personas sobre un asunto (solo se conjuga en plural: Nosotros, Vosotros, Ellos)
    Agree to - predisposición de una/s persona/s para hacer algo sugerido por otra persona/s
    Agree about - coincidencia de una/s persona con el punto de vista de otra/s sobre un asunto en particular.

Ejemplos:
    1.- Mary and I agree on buying a new house. Puedes decir también "Mary and I agree to buy a house" sin cambiar el sentido (to + infinito = on + gerundio en muchos casos). (Mary agrees with Me and I agree with Mary ? or Mary and I agree with a third person? or both options are possible depending on context?)
    2.- I usually agree with your opinions however you never agrees with my opinions.
    4.- Eventually I agreed with Mary about buying a new house. (y no se puede usar "on" porque el sujeto soy yo, y por tanto no se expresa consenso sino aceptación por mi parte)

Is it correct?

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    None of those sentences sounds very natural. Better: "We agree that we should buy," "I ended up agreeing with her that we should buy ..."
    "I agree that ..." sounds like it will be followed by a "but ...," explicit or understood.

Taking a particular word or expression and trying to invent a context for it seems to me like a backwards way of doing things.

levmac

British English

Ejemplos:
    1.- Mary and I agree on buying a new house.
    2.- I usually agree with your opinions however you never agree with my opinions.

Is it correct?
    I would say 1 and 3 would sound OK in the past sense.

1) "Mary and I have agreed..." if you are announcing the news.

As I said above, we would probably use "will" to show we have agreed to something in the present:

"I agree to kill them" is unusual. It would be normal to say "I'll do it" to show you agree with something.
    3) OK, I'll buy a new house.../ we can buy a new house

With regards to your other question:

(Mary agrees with me and I agree with Mary ? or Mary and I agree with a third person? or both options are possible depending on context?)

All are correct.

"Subject agrees with object." "She agrees with me." "I agree with her."
    "Subject and subject agrees with object." "She and I agree with him."

Bear in mind that natives
    (especially Britons) often break the rules about "[subject] and I" and will say "me and [object]"

She and I agree. (correct)
    Me and her agree. (incorrect, but pretty common in the UK)

< Previous | Next >