agree the rent (AE vs BE?)

< Previous | Next >

slavipet

Bulgaria
Hi everyone,

I am translating a literary piece and I wonder if I can use the above-mentioned expression: The Police sergeant immediately noticed that and he agreed the rent, which was not that low.

Thanks a lot for your help,
slavipet

• slavipet

Bulgaria
    He agreed to pay the rent but in the source language "pay" is implicitly suggested and I wondered if I could use agree in the same way.

JamesM

"Agreed on the rent" or "agreed to the rent" would work in your initial sentence, but "agreed the rent" with no preposition looks very unusual to me. Please let us know the source of the sentence.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Apparently, in BE you can agree something, without a "to". Today I heard a BBC news announcer say something like "The French have agreed conditions with [some other country]." So I looked in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, which gives a definition of agree as a transitive verb:
    UK to accept something:
    We finally agreed a deal.
    I think this means that We agreed the rent is acceptable in BE, though it wouldn't be in AE. I hope a BE speaker will let us know whether this is correct.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Cagey's right.
    Tenant and landlord agree the rent.
    Buyer and seller agree the price.
    Client and supplier agree the contract or agree the terms of the contract.

But could that be relevant to the original sentence?
    The Police sergeant immediately noticed that and he agreed the rent, which was not that low.

Is the Sergeant the tenant or landlord?
    If neither, he should not be agreeing the rent.

ewie

English English
    I was blissfully unaware that you lot my much beloved transatlantic cousins didn't use agree as a 'straight' transitive verb:eek:
    sorry said:
    The Police sergeant immediately noticed that and he agreed the rent, which was not that low.
    Erm ... what? If I was* permitted to use such terms, I might even say WTF?

*Or were. I keep getting told off about that;)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >