agree with/on the fact that

Mary_Poppins

Spain Spanish
Dear All,

Wordreference says "agree with sb on sth" Accoding to it, the correct answer to my question should be: "I agree on the fact that".

However, I googled "I agree with the fact that" and I got 260.000.000 results.

Then I went back to wordreference and it also says that "agree with" can be a phrasal verb meaning "estar de acuerdo con" without precising sb or sth.

I have two questions:
1- Which is the correct answer?
2- What's the difference between "agree with sb on sth" and "agree with as a phrasal verb"? I can't see the difference :confused:

The context for my sentence is the one that follows: I'm trying to show agreement with what a horoscope says about people born under a certain sign.

Thanks a lot.
Mary :)

Last edited:
  • jinti

WR is correct, with one little addition in red below.

Think about it this way. There are 3 parts:
    A: to agree
    B: with someone/something
    C. on something.

A sentence is some combination of these 3.

A: You can just agree. I agree.
    A + B: You can agree with someone or something. I agree with you. I agree with that policy.
    A + B + C: You can agree with someone or something on something. I agree with you on that.

To skip from the first part to the third (A+C), the middle part has to be understood as obvious from the context.

So you can say we agree on this (we is obviously you and me and maybe some other people). You can say the politicians agreed on one point (meaning they agreed with each other). But you're going to have to work harder to figure out a good context for I agree on that since I'm expecting at least two people in the sentence. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not the first sentence construction that comes to mind. ;)

Hope it helps. :)

SDLX Master

Spanish - Peru
    Dear All,

Wordreference says "agree with sb on sth" Accoding to it, the correct answer to my question should be: "I agree on the fact that".

However, I googled "I agree with the fact that" and I got 260.000.000 results.

Then I went back to wordreference and it also says that "agree with" can be a phrasal verb meaning "estar de acuerdo con" without precising sb or sth.

I have two questions:
    1- Which is the correct answer?
    2- What's the difference between "agree with sb on sth" and "agree with as a phrasal verb"? I can't see the difference :confused:

The context for my sentence is the one that follows: I'm trying to show agreement with what a horoscope says about people born under a certain sign.

Thanks a lot.
    Mary_P~, I would like to add that "to agree" is not a verb that requires auxiliary verb to be. I have heard and read many language learners saying "I am agree", but that is not right. (For the record, I am not saying you make such mistakes, I am only saying, keep that in mind).

WR is correct, with one little addition in red below.

Think about it this way. There are 3 parts:
    A: to agree
    B: with someone/something
    C. on something.

A sentence is some combination of these 3.

A: You can just agree. I agree.
    A + B: You can agree with someone or something. I agree with you. I agree with that policy.
    A + B + C: You can agree with someone or something on something. I agree with you on that.

To skip from the first part to the third (A+C), the middle part has to be understood as obvious from the context.

So you can say we agree on this (we is obviously you and me and maybe some other people). You can say the politicians agreed on one point (meaning they agreed with each other). But you're going to have to work harder to figure out a good context for I agree on that since I'm expecting at least two people in the sentence. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not the first sentence construction that comes to mind. ;)

Hope it helps. :)
    I totally concur with jinti. :thumbsup:

Mary_Poppins

Spain Spanish
    Hi SDLX Master and jinti!!

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I think I have unsderstood your explanation correctly, jinti: Since I'm talking about a horoscope my sentence should be:
    A--> to agree
    B--> with the horoscope=with whoever wrote the horoscope
    C--> on using the adjective "X" to describe people born in December

Consequently, the correct answer in this particular context should be: ON
    I agree (with whoever wrote the horoscope) on the adjective "pessimistic".

What do you think? Have I understood it correctly?

However, let me express the same idea in a different way using "the fact":
    I agree with the fact that people born in December are pessimistic

Here "with" sounds better to me, is with correct here or should I say on?? I supose it is with because of fact:confused: Any clue?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

jinti

A few corrections :):
    A--> to agree
    B--> with using the adjective "X" to describe people born in December (This is like the example in my previous post I agree with that policy).... or, a version that sounds better to me here is that + [complete sentence]: that the adjective "X" describes people born in December
    C--> [none]

Consequently, the correct answer in this particular context should be: WITH:
    I agree with the adjective "pessimistic".

However, let me express the same idea in a different way using "the fact":
    I agree with the fact that people born in December are pessimistic

Here "with" sounds better to me, is with correct here or should I say on?? I supose it is with because of fact:confused: Any clue?

You're right, it's with, for the same reason as the above. It's A + B (to agree with something). Neither of your sentences have a C.

< Previous | Next >