agree with the privacy policy

• papakapp

English - NW US
    Hmm... interesting. You can agree to a policy or you can agree with a policy. You can disagree with a policy, but you can not disagree to a policy. But you could say "I don't agree to that policy"

I think "policy" can refer to an actual document, or that same word, "policy" can refer to the ideals that that document represents. If you "agree with it" you are agreeing to its ideals. If you "agree to it" you are actually clicking a box that says "I agree"

The difference is pretty subtle. I suspect it only exists in convention, but I'm not sure.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I suppose that you can agree with a privacy policy but not agree to [it being a part of the conditions of viewing a website or using a service.] You may be able to sue Google... :D

papakapp

English - NW US
    Both "agree to the privacy policy" and "agree with the privacy policy" are correct?
    Not exactly. If you are clicking a box that says "I agree" then you are only agreeing to it. In theory you ought to have already agreed with in in your mind, but most people don't bother with that part.

< Previous | Next >