Agreeing with "Me, too."

< Previous | Next >

f.r.a.n.

ITALIAN
A question:
When someone says, for example, I like wine, I think it's correct to answer
'Me, too', but more people would say 'We too', not 'us too'.
So, me too, you too, he too, we too, they too...
Is that right?!

Another question: If I am in a classroom and my teacher asks me something, I might say:
'Are you talking to me?' or simply 'Me?', instead of 'I?'. What's more correct?
I don't know if that's clear. I hope you can help me!...

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    No, I would say "us too." In the second scenario, I would say "me" (although the full sentence is more polite).

In colloquial English, we do not like to use our nominative pronouns unless they are the subject of a sentence with a clear verb - and even then we sometimes change them to objective pronouns if there's another subject involved. :)

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    Hi f.r.a.n.,
    You should create a new thread for a new questions:eek:

"We too" or "Us too" are not really heard much in (British) English, although grammatically they would be acceptable. Instead, you would hear "So do we".

"(Are you talking to) me?" is the correct version. "I" is not used like this anymore, although you will find it in Early Modern English.

"Who is there?"
    -"It is I!"

difficult cuss

English England
    I am British and I would say "us too". Maybe I'm wrong but can not think why.
    "he too" is incorrect it would be "him too"

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    I am British and I would say "us too". Maybe I'm wrong but can not think why.
    "he too" is incorrect it would be "him too"
    I can't quite think why, either.

"I love wine."
    -"Us, too!" (sounds strange to me)
    -"So do we!" (is what I'd use)

"She sent me a rose for Valentine's Day!"
    -"Us too!" (this is where I'd use the 'us')

Could it be whatever the plural is of the singular subject? In the first case, it's "I", so several people would respond with "we"; in the second case, it's "me", so several people would respond with "us"?

Sinda

arabic tunisia
    hello

the correct form is " so do we".

regarding the second point, I think we say " are you talking to me" or simply"me"

good luck
    sinda

Thomsen

English USA
    I think it would be "them too." Which also sounds a little wierd to me.

Me too, You too, Him/Her too, are the commonly used ones.

Alternatives:
    I am/do too. You are/do too. He is/does too. They do/are too. We are/do too.

timpeac

English (England)
    hHello

tThe correct form is " so do we".

rRegarding the second point, I think we say " are you talking to me" or simply"me".

gGood luck
    sinda
    For me, in this context, only "me too" or "us too" sound right. Purist grammarians, based on Latin grammar, would claim that the "I" or "we" forms should be used. However, either way, I think that someone who was likely to say "me too" would say "us too" and someone who would avoid the "me" would avoid the "us".

twinkling

Czech Republic
    "Are you talking to me?" sounds to me a little as "Me? You kidding?" :D

Hopefully, I am wrong... :)

twinkling

Czech Republic
    If the teacher is asking me, it means she is looking at me, so I can say "me" . she is expecting me to answer...
    Hi,
    I understand, "me" is good, but "Are you talking to me?" sounds a little strange to me. (too long? I don't know. But I'm not native speaker, so I'll believe what said the others. )

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is a pity that these two quite distinct questions have become inextricably tangled.
    A question:
    When someone says, for example, I like wine, I think it's correct to answer 'Me, too', but more people would say 'We too', not 'us too'.
    So, me too, you too, he too, we too, they too...
    Is that right?!
    "I like wine," could very well be followed by "Me too." As already said, there are those who would consider this incorrect. "So do I," is simple, correct and appropriate.
    To say any of the others - we too, us too, .... in that context would sound really strange to me. Not because of the grammar but because it would not make sense to me. Why would I say any of these in response to someone else saying "I like wine,"?
    Me too - I like wine too.
    We too - why am I speaking for others?
    Us too - same point.
    You too - completely bizarre.
    They too - equally bizarre.

Depending on the context, we too ... etc could be perfectly correct, acceptable by many people, or utterly incorrect.

Another question: If I am in a classroom and my teacher asks me something, I might say:
    'Are you talking to me?' or simply 'Me?', instead of 'I?'. What's more correct?
    First of all, "Are you talking to me?" sounds really cheeky to me.
    "Are you asking me?" in the right tone of voice would be much better.
    "Me?" as a shorter form of that sounds OK too.
    "I?" would be wrong - unless you can find some way to make sense of it. I can't.

timpeac

English (England)
    "I like wine," could very well be followed by "Me too." As already said, there are those who would consider this incorrect. "So do I," is simple, correct and appropriate.
    To say any of the others - we too, us too, .... in that context would sound really strange to me.
    Say you're there with your wife discussing how you like sweet sherry and someone comes round the corner and says "I love a sweet amontillado!", could you not reply "us too" "so do we" (taking your wife loving by the arm, natch)? (I could add "we too" but all permutations of that, "I too", "he too" etc, sound strange to my ear).

JamesM

For the others besides "me, too" (which I use, even knowing it's technically incorrect), I would insert a "do". Then it works fine for me:

We do, too
    You do, too
    They do, too

As for speaking for others, I can imagine many places where these come in handy. A negotation, for example:

"You want to settle this out of court. We do, too."

Or a nudge to get two sets of friends together:

"You have so much in common. You like watching underwater basket-weaving on cable TV; they do, too!"

Or getting someone to confess to a secret vice:

"You have no reason to make fun of me because I watch 'Dancing With The Stars'; you do, too! I have reliable sources that will vouch for it." :)

As for "me, neither", it's just such a habit that I say it all the time, even though I probably should say, "Neither do I".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Say you're there with your wife discussing how you like sweet sherry and someone comes round the corner and says "I love a sweet amontillado!", could you not reply "us too" "so do we" (taking your wife loving by the arm, natch)? (I could add "we too" but all permutations of that, "I too", "he too" etc, sound strange to my ear).
    One day you may have the pleasure of meeting MrsP. Believe me, it would be more than my life is worth to speak on her behalf in such a situation. However, she would say "So do we."
    "Us too" would be really alien to me - and I don't think that is just a personal view. It may be a regional difference.

Sinda

arabic tunisia
    I think that it's not a question of habit or "alien customs". according to me there is a true and a false answer!
    and there is also a correct answer and a polite answer.

< Previous | Next >