agreement between subject and verb

riorico

English United States
Hello. I'm a "newbie" and I hope I'm following the rules! Could someone please tell me if the structure of this sentence (particularly the subject/verb agreement) is correct?

El Mural de Los Bebedores es el mejor ejemplo de los espacios pictóricos donde se manifiesta que fue producto de una sociedad que respondía al momento en que se realizaron.

I've translated it as
The Drinkers Mural is the best example of Cholula’s pictorial works, and it demonstrates that these pictures were produced by a society that responded to them at the time they were painted.

I added the "and it demonstrates" because the only singular subject was "The Mural" but it seems that it ought to say "que FUERON productos" to agree with ESPACIOS. Thanks in advance for any opinions!

• Rayines

Castellano/Argentina
    Hola riorico, bienvenid@ al foro:
    Aunque quede un poco largo, yo lo diría así:
    El Mural de Los Bebedores es el mejor ejemplo de espacios pictóricos en el cual se manifiesta que estos fueron producto de una sociedad que respondía a ellos en el momento en que se realizaron.
    Cualquier cosa, pregunta :).

lazarus1907

Spanish, Spain
    El Mural de Los Bebedores es el mejor ejemplo...
    Hello:

So far, everything is fine, but you have to bear in mind something: With copulative verbs such as ser (and often estar), the verb is only a link, and the agreement depends on another object called "atributo" (atribute in Spanish) as well as the verb.

Regardless of the style, the only "mistake" would be the use of an article (los espacios).

riorico

English United States
    Thanks to Ines for her reply (and sorry, I haven't figured out the accents yet). That is how I read it, too, so I'm glad you see it the same way.

Lazarus, could you please tell me what the attributive is the in original sentence? I understand what you are saying, but I cannot seem to parse the sentence.

lazarus1907

Spanish, Spain
    Lazarus, could you please tell me what the attributive is the in original sentence? I understand what you are saying, but I cannot seem to parse the sentence.
    Sure (atribute underlined):

(Yo) soy amable.
    (Nosotros) somos amables.
    (Sois) sois amables.

(Yo) soy un trabajador.
    (Tú) eres un trabajador.
    (Nosotros) somos trabajadores.

riorico

English United States
    But in this sentence? El Mural de Los Bebedores es el mejor ejemplo de los espacios pictóricos donde se manifiesta que fue producto de una sociedad que respondía al momento en que se realizaron.

If you are talking about the first section of the sentence, I have no problem with it:

The Drinkers Mural is the best example of the pictorial works (spaces) that ...

(and here I'll translate it differently than I did in my first post)

... demonstrates that it [= the Mural] was the product of a society that responded [to this art] at the time they [the artworks of which the Mural is an example] were created.

But the Mural is an example of various pieces of art--it can't be an example of itself, right? Said differently, I think that the "it" has to be an error, and should be "they were the product" [that demonstrates that they (these works of art) were the product], Do you agree? Disagree? Thanks again for the assistance!

Ivy29

Banned
    COLOMBIA-Español
    But in this sentence? El Mural de Los Bebedores es el mejor ejemplo de los espacios pictóricos donde se manifiesta que fue producto de una sociedad que respondía al momento en que se realizaron.

If you are talking about the first section of the sentence, I have no problem with it:

The Drinkers Mural is the best example of the pictorial works (spaces) that ...

(and here I'll translate it differently than I did in my first post)

... demonstrates that it [= the Mural] was the product of a society that responded [to this art] at the time they [the artworks of which the Mural is an example] were created.

But the Mural is an example of various pieces of art--it can't be an example of itself, right? Said differently, I think that the "it" has to be an error, and should be "they were the product" [that demonstrates that they (these works of art) were the product], Do you agree? Disagree? Thanks again for the assistance!
    THE MURAL SUBJECT SINGULAR
    TITLE of the MURAL = 'LO BEBEDORES'
    THE MURAL (ENCOMPASSES various pieces or spaces of art : Attribute of MURAL).
    IT = the MURAL Singular
    IF you refer to the SPACES or pieces of art should be plural the verb but if the reference is MURAL should be singular the verb.

Ivy29

< Previous | Next >