Ah diva know ['I divvunt kna']

Sjonger

Dutch - Netherlands
Dear all,

I’m translating for Dutch surtitling a verbatim theater piece by the National Theatre. A team of interviewers spoke to people around the country – from Leicester to Derry/Londonderry and Merthyr Tydfil to Glasgow – to hear their views of where and how they live: their opinions; their fears; their passions. In the resulting play the exact words are used, taken from the interviews.

The phrase that I'm submitting here - ‘Ah diva know’ - is part of a series of other phrases by other people, all about immigration and the way it’s handled by the British government and other political leaders who ‘just stand there jeering and laughing, but these are serious questions’.

The general idea is that politicians don’t listen to the people.

‘Ah diva know’ are the words of ‘Larry’, who in general is quite nuanced about things.

I thought 'know' might be misspelled and that maybe it shoud be 'knows'. And than maybe 'diva know(s) refers to this advice column 'Diva knows best' for lesbians and queers etc.? But I suppose that's all a bit far-fetched.

Thank you for any solution!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us some context for this phrase. Is there more to the sentence? What are the preceding and following sentences (up to four in all)? Who is the speaker? Is his native language English? If so, is he from a region of English that might indicate a particular dialect? Is there some reason to think the reference to an advice column for lesbians and gay men is intended?

Sjonger

Dutch - Netherlands
    I'm sorry, it's not so easy to give more context. It's a 'collage' of very dissimilar opinions. There is no reason to think it has anything to do with the advice column, that's just my despair over not being able to find something more plausable.

But I can give you part of the collage: (CALEDONIA, BRITANIA etc. are the 'names' of the characters who bring the 'voice of their people on stage, Britannia represents the leadership of the country)

<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

BRITANNIA: (Boris)
    This is like the jailer has accidently left the door of the jail open…

<...>

BRITANNIA: (Boris)
    …and the people can see the sunlit land beyond.

<...>

SOUTHWEST (Eddie)
    We need politicians, I understand that,

NORTH EAST: (Larry)
    Ah diva know.

<....>

Last edited by a moderator:

heypresto

English - England
    I guessed Larry would be from the north east of England, around Newcastle. In the Geordie dialect, 'I don't know' sounds something like 'Ah diva know'.

I've usually seen it spelt something like 'I divvunt kna'.

Sjonger

Dutch - Netherlands
    <-----Duplicate quoted text removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
    I guessed Larry would be from the north east of England, around Newcastle. In the Geordie dialect, 'I don't know' sounds something like 'Ah diva know'.

I've usually seen it spelt something like 'I divvunt kna'.
    Yes indeed, he's from the North East. Thanks heypresto!

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >