Ah, right/Hmm/Okay/Yeah/I see

Tago_Mago

English - Ireland
Hi,

I'm looking for an appropriate word in Spanish that you would say if someone is talking to you and you want to acknowledge that you're still listening/following what they are saying... for example in English I would say (Ah, right/Hmm/Okay/Yeah/I see). Can 'vale', for example, be used in this context? Native Spanish speakers, what would you say (in an informal situation)? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Iniciativa

English - American
    "Sí, sí", "de acuerdo", "ok", "vale" (used mainly by speakers from Spain, I would have to say), "ya ya" (I have a Mexican friend that says this as I speak. It sort of confirms that he gets what I'm saying, and understands.)

Those are some pretty common uses to express "okay", and "alright" in Spanish. I'm not a native though. Let's wait for a native.

machokrap

UK
    Spanish (Venezuela, Chile)
    Mumbling ajá (uh-hum) or something similar works in Spanish too.:)
    For "really?": ¿En serio?, ¿De verdad?

Omada

Español, España
    "Sí, sí", "de acuerdo", "ok", "vale" (used mainly by speakers from Spain, I would have to say), "ya ya" (I have a Mexican friend that says this as I speak. It sort of confirms that he gets what I'm saying, and understands.)

Those are some pretty common uses to express "okay", and "alright" in Spanish. I'm not a native though. Let's wait for a native.
    "Ya" es también muy usada en España. También "claro" "ya veo" "entiendo". Las que me parecen más comunes son "si" "ya" y "hmm" para expresar que se sigue en contacto.

< Previous | Next >